Activation of Ports below 1024 failed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Cook
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Activation of Ports below 1024 failed! Reply with quote

I've just set up a new partition on my server to use for my web server. It's running OS X El Capitan.

Everything has been installed just fine, but I can't get the ports activated. I'm sure that nothing else is using the ports - the system was installed fresh just a few hours ago, so there's nothing left over.

Restarts haven't resolved it either.

What else can I try to get those ports activated?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Activation of Ports below 1024 failed! Reply with quote

James Cook wrote:
I've just set up a new partition on my server to use for my web server. It's running OS X El Capitan.

Everything has been installed just fine, but I can't get the ports activated. I'm sure that nothing else is using the ports - the system was installed fresh just a few hours ago, so there's nothing left over.

Restarts haven't resolved it either.

What else can I try to get those ports activated?

What is the type of the partition that you have created? Only native MacOS partitions (HPFS/APFS) support making an executable flagged as SETUID. FAT, NTFS and other types of partitions do not support that flag.

This flag is important to make the OS start the executable as root and get access to ports < 1024.

Alternatively, you can set Abyss Web Server as a startup item. Usually, this makes the application start during boot time as a super privileged user an then it can have access to ports < 1024.

We'll be waiting for your feedback.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
James Cook
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Activation of Ports below 1024 failed Reply with quote

The partition shows the file system is set as OS X Extended format: Journaled HFS+

So that should be fine.

I set Abyss as the startup, it launches and continues to have a listening error. :-|

Is there somewhere that permissions factor?
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Since I was just setting up this partition, it was an easy choice to erase it (Mac OS X Extended) and reinstall El Capitan. I downloaded and installed the new X2 release before installing anything else and it is now working as expected.

Thanks for your prompt response and for such a great product.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

James Cook wrote:
Since I was just setting up this partition, it was an easy choice to erase it (Mac OS X Extended) and reinstall El Capitan. I downloaded and installed the new X2 release before installing anything else and it is now working as expected.

Thanks for your prompt response and for such a great product.

Thank you for your feedback. Good to read that the problem is fixed now.

(Unfortunately for us, this is a missed opportunity to diagnose a probable issue :) )
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: