Setting Up SMTP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncwdavid
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Setting Up SMTP Reply with quote

Hey, I am trying to setup my SMTP for PHP to send mail. I have tried downloading a mail server and running it then registering on my phpBB forum I just install and you can see what is going on when i click register and it tries to send the email 5 times then stops.

My ISP is eircom.net. So then I try and register with a email with @eircom.net at the end and it sends perfectly.

They are somehow only allowing me to send it to other users of eircom.net no one else which is useless to me.

What are my options? Thanks.

Also when I changed php.ini from localhost to another SMTP host and saved it and tried to just use the basic mail() function for php and I get this error:

Code:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\mail.php on line 2

Why does it say at localhost when I changed it to something else and saved it? There is 2 php.ini files and I editted the RECOMENDED one but I am not sure if it is.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
mcole
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about your other problem but I will say that if you are using a dynamic IP you will find that a lot of mail servers will refuse to accept mail from you. Many of them use block lists whch exclude ALL dynamic IP's!

This was a problem I came across and now have to route all mail via my IPS smtp server (which fortunately will currently accepy any "from" address so I can send mail "From: mysite.com". Don't know what I'dd do if/when they change that policy...)

Mark.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Setting Up SMTP Reply with quote

ncwdavid wrote:
Also when I changed php.ini from localhost to another SMTP host and saved it and tried to just use the basic mail() function for php and I get this error:

Code:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\mail.php on line 2

Why does it say at localhost when I changed it to something else and saved it? There is 2 php.ini files and I editted the RECOMENDED one but I am not sure if it is.

The file you need to edit is php.ini. The recommended file is just there to use as a reference.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: