Filezilla FTP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomBullock
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Filezilla FTP Reply with quote

I installed Filezilla Server so that people could upload files to my site. The problem is that they cant. When i type in my browser, locally, ftp://127.0.0.1 the FTP login box pops up.
Can anyone tell me how to configure it so it is like, ftp://spinthatvinyl.co.nr/username/

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, make sure you have port 21 forwarded to your server. You'll have to make a separate folder for each username and give each user access to only his/her folder (assuming this is how you want it setup).
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TomBullock
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive opened port 21, created a folder D:\Website\Hosting\Users\Username where i want their files to go. But now how do they access it?
I assume the would go to ftp://spinthatvinyl.co.nr/hosting/users/username but that doesnt work.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomBullock wrote:
Ive opened port 21, created a folder D:\Website\Hosting\Users\Username where i want their files to go. But now how do they access it?
I assume the would go to ftp://spinthatvinyl.co.nr/hosting/users/username but that doesnt work.

It doesn't work unless you use a proper client. Using a browser is a bad idea as it often doesn't work properly.

When the user logs in they will be given a listing of all the files from the folder you have assigned them onwards. They can go forward directories but not back any further than their root folder you assigned them.
abyssisthebest
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have made the user accounts in filezilla, you could try giving a specific url... like

ftp://username:password@url

that then will automatically log the user in with that username and password when they click the url
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
It doesn't work unless you use a proper client. Using a browser is a bad idea as it often doesn't work properly.

When the user logs in they will be given a listing of all the files from the folder you have assigned them onwards. They can go forward directories but not back any further than their root folder you assigned them.

abyssisthebest wrote:
If you have made the user accounts in filezilla, you could try giving a specific url... like

ftp://username:password@url

that then will automatically log the user in with that username and password when they click the url

Ive tried both of them and it still does not work.
abyssisthebest
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

Can you check the following...
1) when someone connects to the server, the access shows up in the ftp log, if not check your dns settings.
2) If the accounts are using empty passwords, try one with a password (This has caused a problem for me in the past)
3) If you have a router, make sure the ports are forwaded, because if your using passive mode, you need to forward additional ports.

Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: