can't access website

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahmorris
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: can't access website Reply with quote

abyss up and running for over 1 year. Love it easy to set up, runs all the time. Old 450mhz computer windows 98. V1 (2.4) Home network belkin router. Now the problem. Decided to upgrade server. Pentium III 800mhz windows xp pro. Downloaded V1 (2.4) windows firewall off. I can access internet from this computer. I can even access server from other computers on network but can't access website from anywhere. If I put old server back online (same rj45 connection) old server works fine without doing anything. Help I'm stumped! Thanks Al
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your port forwarding rule may have become invalid.

The reason:
Different network IP on the new computer.

Solution:
Either set the new computer to the same static IP as the old one or change the port forwarding rule to the new IP.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming AbyssUnderground has the correct issue, if your router supports it...have it assign a certain IP based for the MAC address of your server, its what I do.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ahmorris
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: can't access website Reply with quote

Thanks Underground worked fine. Simple should have checked that myself. You guys are great I'm just learning networking. Self taught, learn from forums and that all seeing eye, Google LOL. Simple answer simple fix. Thank You very much. Al

www.nomoreabortion.com

www.barbarakaymorris.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrinc wrote:
Assuming AbyssUnderground has the correct issue, if your router supports it...have it assign a certain IP based for the MAC address of your server, its what I do.

This is how DHCP works in most respects until the lease expires. Unfortunately I don't think its possible to assign a certain MAC an IP. It just has to be assigned on the computer or by DHCP.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My router supports it, it lets me assign computers with specific MAC addresses specific IPs. I have a Netgear WGU624.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: can't access website Reply with quote

ahmorris,

Wouldn't it better in such a case to assign a static local IP address to your computer and use this address to configure the port forwarding?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: