Attaching a domain name

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchsb
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Attaching a domain name Reply with quote

What I want to know is: I bought a domain name to go along with my server. I need to know how to attach it to my server. Is that done through the domain name service, or in Abyss (or both)?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is done on one and both, depending on the copy of Abyss you have.

If you have X1 then you only need to configure your domain to point to your IP.

If you have X2 then you need to configure your domain to point to your IP and also add in a VHOST for that particular domain.
mitchsb
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I went to this topic because I registered my name with godaddy.com. Used Zone Edit (I think properly). Is this all I need to do?

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2166
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mitchsb
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I did the Zone Edit thing. Do I need to put my computer's static IP address in there or the "real" one?

And I know it says that it takes 24 hours for godaddy to propagate, but I noticed the change on my control center very quickly, but my domain name still won't point to the right page.
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitchsb,

You should have your "real" IP address listed in the DNS. (not a 192.168.x.x address). That is the one the "world" will see when they ask their browser to show the pages at: www.yoursite.com (substitute the name you registered here).

The DNS changes you see are "immediate". The time lag comes in when someone else wants to see your page. Rather than have every Web browser asking the "root" DNS servers for addresses all the time, intermediary DNS servers (such as the ones you use from your ISP) will 'cache' the addresses for a given time period. This cuts down traffic considerably, but it does mean that DNS changes can take awhile to update.

Also, the 'root' DNS servers don't get updated with changes in real time. They update in 'batches', so the changes you put in at GoDaddy won't really be 'public' until the root servers do their next scheduled update. If there are a lot of changes to be made, they may not do a full update on the 'next' schedule, but the one after that. Typically I find that DNS changes happen within 12 hours or so, but until 48 hrs have past, you can't be 'sure' every DNS record around the globe has the current information.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
Typically I find that DNS changes happen within 12 hours or so, but until 48 hrs have past, you can't be 'sure' every DNS record around the globe has the current information.

When we moved aprelium.com to a new server back in June, the DNS propagation took almost 1 week. About 95% of visitors were using the new server in less than 24 hours after the DNS update but the old server kept receiving some traffic until we turned it off 7 days later (the 7th day, the old server received less than 10 visits only).
ccs
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The root servers are updated on a regular basis in such a way as to include a complete update every 72 hrs. However, some ISPs increase their DNS caches far longer than that so the data remains stale for up to a week.

However, I've found that 99% of the time, when requests are hitting an old address, its due to the browser's cache checking trying to pull the image tags from the cached html code.

In this day of broadband, I tell my customers to make the cache as small as possible. I know that in I.E., even clicking Refresh doesn't always force a re-request to the DNS servers for cached data.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccs wrote:
However, I've found that 99% of the time, when requests are hitting an old address, its due to the browser's cache checking trying to pull the image tags from the cached html code.

We have just made a quick check of the log of that 7th day just before turning off the old server. The few visits we received seemed to be from some unknown spiders and bots indexing the site. Apparently they have their own DNS caches which are not frequently updated.

Google, MSN, Yahoo, and other "famous" bots were using the new server fairly quickly (a few hours after the DNS update).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: