VPN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: VPN Reply with quote

Hi all, i just reset my IP for my move down south. The webs workin fine. However, i got another PC and im havin trouble setting a VPN up. Ive come out of my BT 2700HGV router withan ethernet lead and into the other PC upstairs. However i could access internet on both from my broadband connection at first but the connection got lost with my feable efforts to access files on one from the other. In my router HUB in the firewall section when i change to DMZ allow all aplications on one PC the other goes to all blocked. This is no good as i want all PC/s DMZ. That way i use my windows live one care firewall. Problem is PC 2 isnt active in the Network area of the hub config but my own PC is. How do i activate PC 2.

Initially i want to just access the internet from both. As mentioned above. However i would like to access files on one from the other and vice versa. Anyone have some beginning pointers or instruction. Thanks for your assistance. Steve.

Good luck with your stuff.

All the best
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VPN Reply with quote

svankamon,

Are you trying to set a VPN between both computers you have? Are both of them behind the same router?
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have mnanaged to get them both on the net now by using an ethernet cable between them. However i would like to be able to access PC 2 from PC 1.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svankamon wrote:
Yes. I have mnanaged to get them both on the net now by using an ethernet cable between them. However i would like to be able to access PC 2 from PC 1.

If both computers are behind the same router, there is no need for the cable between them. Could you explain us the topology of your network so that we can suggest a better solution?
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry im not explaining myself. I have a BT 2700 HUB. There are 4 ethernet slots in the back. I go from my phone socket to microfilter to adsl to router. So an adsl is my link from phone socket to router. I then use ethernet cable from router to my PC. Then ethernet cable from my router the second PC. Thats it.

I tried creating a connection between them using the internal IP but that just blocks the internet connection on one of the PC/s as i have the router firewall on MDZ allow all. This wont work for both PC connections. When i make PC 1 MDZ allow all PC 2 blocks all. I am using windows live one care as my firewall so have the router firewall off.

Hope this explains a little more.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svankamon,

If the router has 4 ports, why not connecting each PC to one of these ports directlty?
svankamon
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right, thats what i have done. I can access the internet on each PC.

The problem is i would like to access PC2 from PC1. Im sorry for bothering you. I understand again this is outside apreliums sphere. Il search soon for the answer. Thank you anyway.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to access it by its internal ip (it will look something like 192.168.*.* most likely)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jero87
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: You could... Reply with quote

You can access the PC's using their private IP addresses using any remote computing application. Windows professional comes with Remote Computing Capabilities, or, if you dont have Professional XP, you can google a program called VNC (I prefer VNC anyway). Ethier one of these options will allow you to access your computers on the same network.

Sources:
Windows Xp Pro Remote Computing
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

VNC
http://www.realvnc.com/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: