Archiving Logs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cenocre
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Archiving Logs Reply with quote

Is there any way to have automated daily or weekly log archiving?

If not, this is a big missing feature, so please Aprelium add log archiving. We really need it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Archiving Logs Reply with quote

cenocre,

You can do that by an exetrnal script which has to be executed daily or weekly (using Windows Task Scheduler or Cron on Unix-like system). The script will stop Abyss Web Server, archive the logs, compress them (or do whatever required), and restart Abyss Web Server.

Such a script is listed in http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39369#39369 .
cenocre
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a Mac so I quess I'll have to write a cron script. The hassle is having rewrite the script every time I add a domain to the dozens we already host.

In the reply in 2005, you said, "A log rotation system will be added in a future release." Is that still in the plans? I hope so. I would like for it to be able to save the archived logs to a separate directory.

It would be great as it is a standard feature in all the other server software we run. We archive the logs daily to a separate server machine that just runs the log analysis software for a bunch of servers and the archived logs are saved there automatically just by setting the path when setting up a virtual host. No external programs or scripts needed.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cenocre wrote:
I'm on a Mac so I quess I'll have to write a cron script. The hassle is having rewrite the script every time I add a domain to the dozens we already host.

You could use wildcards to make things automatic. For example, if log files are stored in /X/Y/access-site1.log and /X/Y/access-site2.log, you can use the following commands (Shell commands) to perform a set of actions on these files:

Code:

# for each log file
for f in /X/Y/access-*.log; do
     # move the log file to  /X/archive
     mv $f /X/archive
     # Compress it
     gzip -9 /X/archive/$f
done

This way, whenever you add a new host, set its log file to be named /X/Y/access-whatever.log and the script will take care of it automatically.

Quote:
In the reply in 2005, you said, "A log rotation system will be added in a future release." Is that still in the plans? I hope so. I would like for it to be able to save the archived logs to a separate directory.

It is still in our plans. But it has been postponed because some other features generated more requests by our users so they got higher priority.
cenocre
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Can path in script use a variable? Reply with quote

Thanks for the script idea; however, I don't see that that solution would work in this situation as there is not a common path to the logs or the archives. Each log has a unique path.

Each site has a log folder so that clients can download their logs. And, the logs are also stored in a unique folder for each site on the machine that runs the log analysis software.

Since the path is based on the domain name perhaps there would be a way to fill a variable, but my shell scripting skills are rudimentary.

A path looks like this within each site root folder with the log folder matching the domain name: /logs/CLIENTDOMAIN.COM/logfile

And like this for other server: /Volumes/logserver/logs/CLIENTDOMAIN.COM/logfile
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can path in script use a variable? Reply with quote

cenocre wrote:
Since the path is based on the domain name perhaps there would be a way to fill a variable, but my shell scripting skills are rudimentary.

A path looks like this within each site root folder with the log folder matching the domain name: /logs/CLIENTDOMAIN.COM/logfile

And like this for other server: /Volumes/logserver/logs/CLIENTDOMAIN.COM/logfile

The script could be changed in that case to:

Code:
# for each log file
for f in /logs/*/logfile; do
     # copy the log file to  the other server
     cp $f /Volumes/logserver$f
    # Delete the original
    rm $f
done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: