Local network on same router as webserver? Abyss?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdeahl
-

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Local network on same router as webserver? Abyss? Reply with quote

Hi:

I have several local networked computers on one router and a windows/apache webserver (4 domains) on another router. Both go to a switch and then to the dsl modem. Works fine.

It makes it harder to edit and transfer files though and I would like to put them on the same network.

What do I need to do to have the local networked computers secured from ithe internet?

Also, I am thinking of moving to Abyss for several reasons. Bandwidth limiting is a major one because of the hundreds of files (almost 500 gig) I have for download.

The questions I have about abyss are:

1) is it easy to setup for other than the c: drive for files?
2) What about email setup?
3) storefront setup?
4) conversion from apache or fresh install?

It there a guideline for number of users/traffic per meg of dsl?

THanks,

John
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Local network on same router as webserver? Abyss? Reply with quote

jrdeahl wrote:
1) is it easy to setup for other than the c: drive for files?

Abyss Web Server can be installed anywhere on your harddrive and imposes no restricton on file locations. You can even split your web sites on several hard disks without any problem. It's fully configurable.

jrdeahl wrote:
2) What about email setup?

Abyss Web Server is only a Web server. It does not act as a mail server (SMTP/POP3/IMAP). If you need to host your own email server on your computer, you'll have to get and install a mail server software which will run in simultaneously with Abyss Web Server (each of them will be doing its job). Search this forum for mail server suggestions and real world experiences.

jrdeahl wrote:
3) storefront setup?

There are many e-commerce/shopping cart scripts available for free (or for a fee). You can install them as any other script.

jrdeahl wrote:
4) conversion from apache or fresh install?

There is no automatic conversion. But you can copy your sites files on your computer and point Abyss Web Server to use them when serving your site. For other "things" configured with Apache, you'll have to replicate them using the console of Abyss Web Server (most of the time it consists in setting support for scripting languages you are using as explained in http://www.aprelium.com/support ).

jrdeahl wrote:
It there a guideline for number of users/traffic per meg of dsl?

It depends on what kind of site you are hosting. We suggest reading http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/articles/speed.html for more information on how to have an estimation.

John[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: