Ajax post method in open() is not allowed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunandras
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Ajax post method in open() is not allowed Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I'm very new to this forum so, please forgive me if I make mistakes (and for my poor English as well). I'm using locally Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.0.6) on an IBM Think Pad R50e computer with Windows XP system for a year and now I got a problem.

The POST method in open() statement results Method Not Allowed message and the open() fails--while the GET method works.

I assume the message is sent by Abyss because Ajax is a pure communication between JavaScript and the server--I think. (By the way HTML POST method to send data to Perl scripts works too.) I couldn't figure out where and what to change in the server's configuration, if it can help at all (I looked it over more than ten times) then I tried to change the server's and consol's port but of course, it doesn't matter...

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. :-)
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Abyss does not allow you to use the POST method on static pages. Using dynamic pages is probably what you'll need to do if you must use the POST method.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
tunandras
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I tried it in an alternative way: it is in Perl; unfortunately I'm not familiar with PHP. But the main thing for me is to see how Ajax operates. And one more information: there is no problem with the code when I use the previous version of Abyss that is Abyss Web Server 2.6.
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunandras wrote:
Yes I tried it in an alternative way: it is in Perl; unfortunately I'm not familiar with PHP. But the main thing for me is to see how Ajax operates.

You could just use plain html in a .php file, as long as the file will be parsed by the PHP interpreter it will also support the POST method.

tunandras wrote:
And one more information: there is no problem with the code when I use the previous version of Abyss that is Abyss Web Server 2.6.

The latest release is 2.4. Are you referring to 1.x?

The POST method is only useful when uploading data from the client to the server, which you won't be able to do with a static page anyway.
I'm not sure why Abyss behaves like this, Lighttpd (on my Debian box) allows the POST method on static pages.

Last edited by cmxflash on Fri May 11, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
tunandras
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as long as the file will be parsed by the PHP interpreter it will also support the POST method.

Yes, you are absolutely right, it is something similar what the Perl does however, it generates the HTML code as the PHP would have to do... But, you know, I'm interested in (or I would like to learn) Ajax.
Quote:
The latest release is 2.4

I think it has an 'X' in it's name too. That version what I wrote about is an older version two or three years before.
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two editions, X1 and X2, X1 is free, X2 is not, but the current version on both is 2.4.
tunandras
-

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I'm so ignorant! Yes I have the free one, but I have the previous version too. Well, I can't tell you it's version number now (seems, I don't remember well), and it isn't in this flat where I am sitting now. The closest time is Monday when I can check it. But the Ajax ran on it with POST method--without an error message. :-)
-

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ajax post method in open() is not allowed Reply with quote

tunandras,

Web servers do not care about what AJAX is. For them they are processing a POST request from the client (the magic of AJAX is mostly done on the client side).

Error 405 you are getting is not related to AJAX or Javascript. It simply means that you are POSTing data to a static file i.e. a file which is not declared as a script in Abyss Web Server.

So check your interpreter declarations and verify that the file that the POST is directed to is considered as a script by Abyss Web Server (its extension should be handled by one of your interpreters).
tunandras
-

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Ajax post method in open() is not allowed Reply with quote

Hi aprelium,

Thanks a lot for your answer, I'll try it out soon (I'm sorry that I didn't realize your reply earlier--no notification arrived or I missed it).
-

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Ajax post method in open() is not allowed Reply with quote

Dear aprelium,

Thank you very much! I'm so glad, it works! :-) It was so tricky... First I added the file's extension itself to "Script Paths" but it was not enough. I had to associate it to an interpreter (namely PHP--which is also installed on my computer) as you wrote:
Quote:
(its extension should be handled by one of your interpreters)
so thanks a lot again! And of course thanks to cmxflash and Andy (AbyssUnderground) (previously The Inquisitor) for the attention and time as well.

tunandras
-

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Ajax post method in open() is not allowed Reply with quote

tunandras,

You're welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: