"access denied" to Internet connectionx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberCrone
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: "access denied" to Internet connectionx Reply with quote

I installed Abyss a few days ago and have been through all the checks (several times) in the accessiblity document and FAQ, including router and Windows settings (I am running Window XP Pro; I have a static IP address from ISP) and still get "access denied" from external attempts to connect. I am running ZoneAlarm and since its controls are often incomprehensible to me, I simply disabled it completely but that doesn't fix it so I assume the problem isn't in ZoneAlarm settings. Windows firewall is turned off. I'm pretty frustrated. Any ideas that are not in the accessibility document or FAQ?

Toni
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toni,
If you're using the default port 80, is it possible your ISP is blocking it?
Have you tried running Abyss on another port (for example, 8080) to find out?

FYI - Unless you have accessed this forum from another pc outside of your home,
you don't have a static IP. Your IP has changed once since you registered as a
member.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CyberCrone
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxxnixx wrote:
Hi Toni,
If you're using the default port 80, is it possible your ISP is blocking it?
Have you tried running Abyss on another port (for example, 8080) to find out?

FYI - Unless you have accessed this forum from another pc outside of your home,
you don't have a static IP. Your IP has changed once since you registered as a
member.

WHEW! What an adventure I have been through this last hour. I have worked with this quite a bit since I sent my first message, made a couple of changes, and I thought I spotted the problem. In my Linksys router setup panel I noticed that I had local IP address set to 192.168.1.1 -- but that's the address of my router, while my IP for my computer is 192.168.1.101, and in fact, with the .1 setting my friend at his remote computer gets asked for user name and password when he tries to access my external IP (by the way, I DO have static IP but didn't have when I first signed on to the forum, which I why you saw 2). So I gave him my user name and password for router and he got the Linksys control panels.

So I was pretty sure I had to change this to the .101 but when I did, BLOOEY! I lost all Internet access AND accesss to the router so I couldn't change anything. That gave me a bad half hour! until I called my friend to see if he could still get to the router panel--and he could. So I had him change Local IP back to .1 [the router IP], save, and my Internet access came back.

I must have something set up wrong in the router because my Internet IP should not point to the router control panel. I'm still puzzling over this. One thing struck me as curious. The ISP guy gave me a DNS server that begins with same numbers as my Internet IP. When I use DOS command to get local IPs that same number is in the list. Shouldn't it be a local DNS? What do you think?

Toni
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: subnet mask Reply with quote

P.S. Should subnet mask be the same for external and local IPs?
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: subnet mask Reply with quote

CyberCrone wrote:
P.S. Should subnet mask be the same for external and local IPs?

No. Your ISP will issue a different subnet based on your external IP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: