Possible to program C++ in notepad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Possible to program C++ in notepad? Reply with quote

Just a question, i have a C++ programming guide from school so iv been learning it a bit, but i dont know if i can use notepad to code C++ (the guide didnt mention what to program it in)
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but I recommend another editor with syntax highlighting such as Crimson Editor or Dev-C++.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO which editor would you recommend the 2 you mentioned look good. Also, i have a program called PSPad ( http://www.pspad.com )
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to program C++ in notepad? Reply with quote

hc2995,

You can use any text editor to program in C/C++.

Write the code in a file and then open your command line window and execute the commands to compile that file into an executable.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, havent gotten to compiling yet lol. I also have another question, say i make a program that has a bunch of files (sound, images, ETC...) would compiling it make it into an installer, or do i need something. I noticed that lots of programs use install shield, is it free? or do i need to buy it?
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dev-C++ is both an editor and a compiler, meaning you are able to just press a button inside it and compile the code. It can compile both C and C++ using GCC.

You can download it here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=dev-cpp&filename=devcpp-4.9.9.2_setup.exe&use_mirror=heanet
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmxflash wrote:
Dev-C++ is both an editor and a compiler, meaning you are able to just press a button inside it and compile the code. It can compile both C and C++ using GCC.

You can download it here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=dev-cpp&filename=devcpp-4.9.9.2_setup.exe&use_mirror=heanet

Thanks for the link, i have one final question:

The book i got from school is kinda old (they are using MS Visual C++ 5.0 on a win 95 machine) so i just wanted to know if anyone knows a good site to learn C++? Im looking at the library for C++ for dummies, but nothing yet
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hc2995 wrote:
so i just wanted to know if anyone knows a good site to learn C++?

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I suggest you to have a look on Assembly as well, since it is a much more low-level language:
http://www.laynetworks.com/assembly%20tutorials.htm
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i will, last question (promise this time) if i code c++ will it compile the same in Linux and Windows? or is it two different codes?
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code should compile fine in both OSs. However, if the program is compiled in Windows it can only be run in Windows, and likewise for Linux.
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly86 wrote:
The code should compile fine in both OSs. However, if the program is compiled in Windows it can only be run in Windows, and likewise for Linux.

Thanks for clearing that up :D

As for every one else that posted, thanks for the help, im going to get learning now, maybe make some kind of web browser :P, ill be in touch :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: