It Works Dynamic DNS and your home PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liaemars
-

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: It Works Dynamic DNS and your home PC Reply with quote

I'm posting this in the hope that it will help some people out there, it works for me 100% and is easy for a novice.

If you have a linksys router (pre v5 with linux - mine is WRT54G v1.1) you may have noticed that sveasoft do an alternative firmware. (for a charge of using their forum)

I recently discovered that DD-WRT to a complete firmware upgrade for FREE and what's better is all the services work like QoS and HotSpotting (using sputnik for beginners or chillispot for the more seasoned).

Do a search for dd-wrt and upgrade right away - you'll thank me!

Then register a domain - I used viahome.co.uk and create a free account with DynDNS.org (if you want to share my doamin ask me)

You can tell your router your DnyDNS id and password and set up a 'Custom DNS'

Rest assured that your dd-wrt router will keep your dnydns records uptodate which I found linksys and sveasoft versions never did.

In short your registered domain will always point to your home pc and you can access everything you want, any time you want.

I have been using this for a few months using my own domain and a dodgy NTL connection and never had a problem.

I would be happy to explain further if anyone is interested (PM me)

Hope this is useful to some people - for me it means I can access my home PC on the internet anytime - got to be a bonus!!!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this method myself and it works really well. No need for a Dynamic IP Client since the router updates it for you. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: