Abyss on Windows vs. Apache Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geaktoo
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Abyss on Windows vs. Apache Linux Reply with quote

Hello,

I know the short answer to my question: What is the benefit of running Abyss on Windows vs. Apache on Linux.

Firstly, I have used Abyss as well as several other MS Windows webservers to test website designs. However, I also have had to use Apache on a Linux server for work. So, I know a bit about Apache and also its variety of options. I know that Abyss is simple to use and especially for a beginner to learn to design.

Now then, after all that, I am asking because I had to upgrade a machine from 32 bit to AMD Athlon 64 bit cpu and linux is not easy to install and tune. I am wondering if MS Windows OS might operate it a bit better. I had not even tried instaling XP. That is what I have. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Gannyaa
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Windows works fine... Reply with quote

Hello geaktoo,

I have an Abyss server operating with Windows 98.
http://haidavision.no-ip.info/gannyaa/2007/01-jan/server.htm

If you know a little about how to set up Apache and Linux, you should have no problems with Abyss and Windows. So easy to install that if you know what you're doing, generally, then you should be up and running within half a day, if you're learning maybe two.

Abyss is not just for beginners, but for Advanced Web and PHP applications and programmers too. You can learn a lot from having your own server right next to your workstation or laptop. I have, never new anything about PHP, email servers, or FTP servers before I got Abyss.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP should be a breeze to install on any 64bit system but for gods sake don't use the XP64bit version! You will find a lot of programs will not work on the 64bit version due to drivers etc not being designed for 64bit yet.

The 32bit version will run great on a 32bit system though.

Abyss will run on windows like it was any other program. Nothing to mess around with and no conf file to mess around with. Follow the tutorials on www.abyssunderground.co.uk/tutorials.php and you will be up and running in no time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: