Web Server using Mini-ITX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dancingbear
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Web Server using Mini-ITX Reply with quote

Has anyone used a Mini-ITX based system to run Abyss? At the moment I use a standard PIII 600 PC as my webserver, but I would like to free this up to allow me to use it as a development box.

I built a Mini-ITX based media box a couple of years ago and that has been great. I have a spare motherboard and thought a webserver would be a good use. The problem is will it be powerful enough? I am using the X2 version with currently 2 sites but this will increase. None of my sites are likely to be heavy usage.

The other advantage with Mini-ITX is the size and power requirements. 17 x 17cm and around 60W with HD.

Thanks for any advise.
Simon
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sabvr
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my server on an XPC Shuttle, as you say, hardly any power consumption and silent
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more powerful the server the better, I found my 500mhz pIII server was just enough to run my sites without a MySQL forum on it. So the higher the CPU and RAM you can get the better.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Web Server using Mini-ITX Reply with quote

dancingbear,

As AbyssUnderground pointed it out, MySQL and scripts processing is what is going to consume your processor time. So you could live well with a P3-600 provided that your carefully choose your scripts (some badly written ones can generate tens of SQL requests to build a single page).
dancingbear
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think I will leave the system as it is for the time being and use the Mini-ITX board for another project.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
roganty
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancingbear wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will leave the system as it is for the time being and use the Mini-ITX board for another project.

Ok, this was weird!

You said that you had a mini-itx board that you were thinking about using for a web server, and asked if it would be powerful enough.
Yet you never gave its specifications, only your current web servers specs

Just had to say that!

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roganty wrote:
dancingbear wrote:

Ok, this was weird!

You said that you had a mini-itx board that you were thinking about using for a web server, and asked if it would be powerful enough.
Yet you never gave its specifications, only your current web servers specs

Just had to say that!

Thats a good point, I only just realised that after reading your post and re-reading his!
dancingbear
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yes I didn't really construct a good initial post.

The Mini-ITX board I have, that I was considering using, is a VIA Technologies EPIA M1000. And it's basic spec is:

Onboard VIA Apollo CLE266 graphics and 1Ghz C3 Processor with Nehemiah core gives the EPIA M10000 improved 3D graphics and DVD playback, and the board has 6 Channel audio, 10/100 Ethernet, USB 2.0, Firewire and TV-Out support. Ideal for the perfect multimedia playback machine. Additional 2 x USB 2 and 2 x Firewire ports come on a separate PCI backplate.
http://www.viamainboard.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81

Whilst it is a 1GHz processor I have found it to be no more powerful than my PIII 600MHz. The real advantage is it's size 17x17cm and it is very quiet.

As you guys have said my current set-up would be okay, rather than 'function well' I thought changing would not give me a significant upgrade.

Once again thanks for your comments.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancingbear,

Your VIA system seems sufficient to host a web server even with a MySQL database (unless you expect hundreds of concurrent visitors).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: