My first problem.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galarand Sangobath
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: My first problem. Reply with quote

When someone tries to log in on my forum they get a cannot display web page error. So i went into the forum config area and changed the domain name and then it worked fine for ppl outside my network but then i had the problem on my end, i also couldn't access the admin panel of the server after i did this. If anyone has any ideas on what to do i would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

**edit** i think i got it figured out. I had to enter in my local ip. The ip that was in it by default was the server ip, 127.0.0.1. Im hoping it works now. Guess i gotta wait till someone tries to register now.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is for phpBB then you need to use your WAN IP, that is, the IP people use to access your server. If you have a domain, you use your domain. phpBB uses absolute linking so you must use one that will always be available.

1. If you have a dynamic IP, your IP is no good in the config.
2. If you have a no-ip/dyndns address then you use this.
3. If you have a domain, .com, .co.uk etc, then you use this.

Use number 3 if you can, its the best way and will cause you the least problems.
Galarand Sangobath
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is i used my local ip, when i used the wan ip i couldn't get into my admin panel for the forum, same thing when i used my no-ip name too. I see guests coming in so i guess its still accessible. The yellow area is what i was talking about. yes its for phpbb2.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems your router may be stopping loopback, which means you cant view things with your WAN IP through your own network. Its best to leave it as the WAN IP (if its static) or the domain name. You not accessing it is better then your users not accessing it.

You can bypass the loopback by adding your domain to your hosts file. This is a workaround but its not the best way. The easiest thing to do is change router to one that has the loopback function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: