Advanced Rss Ticker not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mammy
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Advanced Rss Ticker not working Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a GREAT news ticker and it's really easy to just drop in a directory and the demo works right off the bat (normally)... here's the zip file:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsstickerajax/

I dropped the unzipped rsstickerajax folder on a friend's server with his webhost and the demo.htm ran perfectly. But when I try to run it on my Abyss server I get this error that comes up on the rendered demo.htm page instead of the ticker feeds:

Code:

CNN News: (Fade Effect enabled. Title+date shown)
Error fetching remote RSS feed!
cache_dir = 'cache'; //path to cache directory on your server from this script. Chmod 777! $rss->date_format = 'M d, Y g:i:s A'; //date format of RSS item. See PHP date() function for possible input. // List of RSS URLs $rsslist=array( "CNN" => "http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss", "BBC" => "http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/front_page/rss.xml", "news.com" => "http://news.com.com/2547-1_3-0-5.xml", "slashdot" => "http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot", "dynamicdrive" => "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/export.php?type=new" ); ////Beginners don't need to configure past here//////////////////// $rssid=$_GET['id']; $rssurl=isset($rsslist[$rssid])? $rsslist[$rssid] : die("Error: Can't find requested RSS in list."); // ------------------------------------------------------------------- // outputRSS_XML()- Outputs the "title", "link", "description", and "pubDate" elements of an RSS feed in XML format // ------------------------------------------------------------------- function outputRSS_XML($url) { global $rss; $cacheseconds=(int) $_GET["cachetime"]; //typecast "cachetime" parameter as integer (0 or greater) $rss->cache_time = $cacheseconds; if ($rs = $rss->get($url)) { echo "\n\n\n"; foreach ($rs['items'] as $item) { echo "\n$item[link]\n\n$item[description]\n$item[pubDate]\n\n\n"; } echo ""; if ($rs['items_count'] <= 0) { echo "
Sorry, no items found in the RSS file :-(
"; } } else { echo "Sorry: It's not possible to reach RSS file $url\n
"; // you will probably hide this message in a live version } } // =============================================================================== outputRSS_XML($rssurl); ?>

Is Abyss not compatible with something? Like the ajax, php or dhtml? I checked the CHMOD of the cache folder and it's set to 777. I turned my firewall off completly and port 80 is forwarded on my Linksys router, so I don't know what else to do.

I would appreciate it if someone else would drop the rsstickerajax folder into thier Abyss server and see if they can run the demo.htm page and let me know if they have the same results and/or a fix.

Thanks for your time,

Alex
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced Rss Ticker not working Reply with quote

mammy,

Abyss Web Server does not run PHP scripts directly. It's the PHP interpereter that handles that. So your problem here is that the script or the PHP interpreter are not configured correctly to do the required tasks.

The error message is clearly stated as "Error fetching remote RSS feed!" so you'll have to check why the feed cannot be fetched. Is its URL correct? Is your access to the Internet from PHP allowed?

To help you locate the problem and get a more detailed error message from PHP, edit the file lastRSS.php, locate the line:

Code:
if ($f = @fopen($rss_url, 'r')) {

and change it to:

Code:
if ($f = fopen($rss_url, 'r')) {

(remove the @ character).

Now rerun the script and post here the full error message you receive from PHP.
Ralph
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mammy,

I got the news ticker to work. I rather like it! I wonder how easy it would be to use any other RSS feeds as well, besides just the two, CNN and BBC?

Just make sure your paths are correct and the code from the demo file is embedded correctly in the head and body section of the page you want the tickers on.

Here is my example: www.qualitynetdesign.com/services.htm
mammy
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph wrote:
mammy,

I got the news ticker to work. I rather like it! I wonder how easy it would be to use any other RSS feeds as well, besides just the two, CNN and BBC?

Just make sure your paths are correct and the code from the demo file is embedded correctly in the head and body section of the page you want the tickers on.

Here is my example: www.qualitynetdesign.com/services.htm

Thanks Ralph! Yes, I've changed it from CNN to the WikiNews RSS feed before.. it took a bit of fanagling but it worked perfect. If I can remember what I did, I'll help you change them to other feeds if you'd like.

That's really strange that it works fine on your server. Did you make any changes to any of the code anywhere? I just took the rsstickerajax folder and dropped it right into the server without changing anything. When I go to the demo.htm page, I get those errors. Strangely enough, when I dropped the same folder on my friends server with a hosting company, it worked fine.

I'm thinking you might have made a slight change to the code somewhere and now that change makes it work with Abyss?
mammy
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced Rss Ticker not working Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
mammy,
Code:
if ($f = @fopen($rss_url, 'r')) {
(remove the @ character).

I made the code change and the same, exact error message came up. The feed URLs do work.

Is my access to the Internet from PHP allowed? How do you mean? Do I need to set that up somewhere?

Thanks for your advice!
mammy
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph wrote:
mammy, Here is my example: www.qualitynetdesign.com/services.htm

UPDATE: I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time... I thought for some reason when I read the directions that PHP is somehow emulated or something to run with Abyss and I didn't need to install PHP.

Well, after rooting around I found a tutorial here for downloading, installing and making PHP work with Abyss. I'm doing that now.

Sorry again for not RTFM first!!!!
mammy
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mammy wrote:
Ralph wrote:
mammy, Here is my example: www.qualitynetdesign.com/services.htm

UPDATE: I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time... I thought for some reason when I read the directions that PHP is somehow emulated or something to run with Abyss and I didn't need to install PHP.

Well, after rooting around I found a tutorial here for downloading, installing and making PHP work with Abyss. I'm doing that now.

Sorry again for not RTFM first!!!!

Yep... it was ME! I hadn't installed PHP... I used the intructions for OS X and the ticker works perfect. Total user error, sorry!

There was one glitch though with the PHP install process... when I pasted in "/Application/PHP5/bin/php" it gave me an error that the file wasn't found, so I manually clicked my way to the file and it worked.

All is well.... BTW, Abyss kicks butt!!! I love it!!! You guys did a wonderful job on this stuff, you should be very proud of yourselves.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mammy,

You're welcome. We're glad to know that the problem has been solved now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: