Be careful running a server on a residential service!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Be careful running a server on a residential service! Reply with quote

I just found out by my ISP that i cannot run a server from a residential line. They infact terminated my internet access for 2 days. BUT as some good news they let me run my server ON THE CONDIDION that i pay 20 bucks more per month. (so im basicly business line now but they dont offer static IP for small business :/) Why am i posting this? Just wanted everyone to make sure this dosent happen to you!
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ISP's allow you to run a site if it is unblocked on the conditions that you do not sell anything on the hosted site you run. This is what NTL's policy is anyway.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yea thats what i thought, im not selling anything, no CENSORED, there's nothing blocked but then they sent me this:

Not permisable by a residential connection:

run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth changing ISP then if you have to pay more money to run the server.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish, this is the fastest non DSL company (comcast cable lol) around me, It not that big a deal its only 42.95 a month now :/ but they offer static IP at no cost which a plan to get once iget my domain set up :D

PS the new TOS reads:

You may run any type of service or server using your dynamic ip address or your stsatic ip address. With comcast small business networking you can also run a mail server AT NO COST! ....... then it rambles on from there
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know lots of people on Comcast who run servers on their residential lines. Maybe they just changed their policy?
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe :/ o well

PS

if oyu go here its xiv in the prohibited section

http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not news to many people. In Australia all the large ISPs have AUPs that include a term much like this:

"You cannot run any publically available service, period." No email, web or FTP servers at all, and in fact most of the standard ports are blocked. It's the same in Canada, though this restriction is largely ignored.

Compare to Japan, where they not only allow it, they encourage it. A one-time fee of Y500 ($4 or so) gets you a permanent, fixed IP, and of course there are no restrictions to speed (100mbit) or traffic (no cap at all). A good deal for $30 / month.

The sad truth is that most carriers, especially the large ones, believe the customers are consumers, not producers. Most Australian ISPs throttle the upload to 256kbit/s, which is useless for many, many things. It's this belief also that sees your systems denied any serving ability. "If you're running a server you're clearly a pirate, 'cause you're not smart enough to actually MAKE anything. That's our job."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:

Compare to Japan, where they not only allow it, they encourage it. A one-time fee of Y500 ($4 or so) gets you a permanent, fixed IP, and of course there are no restrictions to speed (100mbit) or traffic (no cap at all). A good deal for $30 / month.

THAT BS Y CANT WE HAVE THAT HERE????????
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcuz america sucks on new technology.... lol my internet provider lets me have web services but they will not help me out on configuring it... that is where abyss comes in ... i also have no cap on upload bandwidth.. my connection is 3.0dl adn 512up and i pay roughly $35 a month i also have static ip.. and that is the cheapest and fastest around me..... Also when you say 100Mbit conection.. its not quite that fast.. one of my friends that transferred to a private school has a 20mbit connection which is still good dont get me wrong but of course that is the lower end conneciton anways what ia m sayin is that America's ie service sucks as in technology wise... we are a new nation on tech.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we all had lots of money, we could all have OC-148 lines directly to our houses, with speeds in the Gbps...too bad i'm not that rich.

and, actually, its not that the US sucks at technology, its just that it has horrible companies controlling it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
if we all had lots of money, we could all have OC-148 lines directly to our houses, with speeds in the Gbps...too bad i'm not that rich.

and, actually, its not that the US sucks at technology, its just that it has horrible companies controlling it.

lol, someday maybe :P
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol well true!!! they are bandwidth hogs they dont want us 2 improve nah just messin.. but i hope we get this SUPER FAST IE someday.. b4 u kno it the world will be completely wireless adn there wont be lines!--- well it is already startin with phone companies liek verizon and such
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
redlion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True about Canada, I'm on the only ISP in Toronto that explicitly allows at-home hosting. Funny thing is it's also the oldest ISP in the city, and it's a co-op.

Official line is that Toronto Freenet doesn't give 2 cents worth of horse poop about what you do on your end of their wire, so long as it doesn't result in too much traffic, violate the obscenity laws or promote any illegal activity, or scare the horses otherwise. And the traffic limit is pretty good ... 30G/month IIRC.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: