Should I buy a GeForce 8800 GTX video card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masa
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Should I buy a GeForce 8800 GTX video card? Reply with quote

Is is worth it to buy a video card something like that? that is a top end video card that supports DirectX 10 and also it supports for the new OS called Windows Vista which is coming in January next year so please tell me if I should buy this video card or not. Will the next video card be out soon?

Thanks
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the money and really into games then its a great buy, but wait for vista to come out and the prices to fall a bit on both the os and the card. Its a bit of a bank buster. All I know is im happy with my X1600 XT...its not dx10, but it plays the games I want (bf2, eq2) with no trouble on high graphics. Ah, the magic of overclocking...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your money for now. It's just a waste of cash that could be better spent, and if you've got an "okay" CPU then it'll just be a bottleneck and ruin the point of your investment (performance, I assume.)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a better one in the x-mas/new year sales. There will be lots of deals to be had.
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I believe most graphics cards support Vista. Go for a cheaper card, pal. Many, many cards will perform to a satisfactory level without munching on your wallet.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geforce 6600 GT (AGP 8X) is a bit old but it displays Vista beautifully and doesn't much on your wallet! ;)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, but I wouldn't get anything higher than a 6600 GT for AGP...I would just save the money and upgrade to PCI-E later.

There are lots of videocards that are Vista-ready. Even this FX 5200 can run Vista well without trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is the specs anyways:

CPU: Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz
Graphic card: Onboard graphics card: Intel (which plays good on GTA:VC and a bit laggy on GTA:SA)
Sound Card: Realtek Audio
RAM: A-Data 2X 512MB 667MHZ DDR2
Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2-VM

I am only a bit short on cash and what do you think about the card? Do you think new GeForce 8850 or 8900 or 8950 will come out anytime? I don't think 9 series will come out until summer or the end of 2007. I hate it when new cards come out because price drops down and I still have the 6800 Ultra but can't use with my PC because my motherboard doesn't have AGP slot and it only has PCI-E 16x slot. I was thinking of ALBATRON AGP to PCI but takes too much space and might not fit the case and I might think of selling it.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting some sort of videocard, but I wouldn't spend too much on it right now until you get a better motherboard. Also, I wouldn't suggest upgrading too much unless you are really thinking of doing hardcore gaming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
I would suggest getting some sort of videocard, but I wouldn't spend too much on it right now until you get a better motherboard. Also, I wouldn't suggest upgrading too much unless you are really thinking of doing hardcore gaming.

I'd upgrade anyway.. You don't want to get too old..
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: