USB Webserver ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siert
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: USB Webserver ... Reply with quote

New in the Netherlands ...

You can now put a webserver on a USB-stick (http://www.usbwebserver.nl/)
On http://e107.nl/download.php?view.121 it is combined with e107 (http://e107.org/news.php) as CMS.
Just download and unzip it on a USB-stick. When you start it, you see it in English again ...

Apache is used ... Bad ...
Would it be possible in the future to use it with Abyss Webserver? That would be great!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can already do it with Abyss, it just needs a bit of configuring. Search the forum and you should find a few articles on it.
Siert
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't find them ...
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really simple and just basically is installing it to a usb drive and running the proper exe, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
You can already do it with Abyss, it just needs a bit of configuring. Search the forum and you should find a few articles on it.

Not only that but once you get it set up on the stick, you can add PERL and PHP support by copying the folder to the stick then linking from it :D
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB Webserver is a terrible webserver.

Abyss is indeed much better and easier to manager, although you can do pretty advanced stuff with it.

That USB Webserver contains Apache is probably a choice made because Apache is very popular and used in many production environments, so testing can be done as efficiently and exact as possible.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: USB Webserver ... Reply with quote

Siert wrote:
Would it be possible in the future to use it with Abyss Webserver? That would be great!

Plug your USB drive into your computer, install Abyss Web Server on that drive, install PHP, Perl, and the scripts you want on the same drive, and unplug the drive.

In order to make it work without paying attention to drive letters, make all the real paths relative. Doing so makes them relative to the Server Root. For example, if the server root is E:\Abyss, instead of E:\Abyss\PHP5\php-cgi.exe, enter PHP5\php-cgi.exe .

After doing all that stop Abyss Web Server, edit abyss.conf and change E:\Abyss between <root> and </root> to . (a dot). Save the file and that's all. With such a setting, the USB drive will work on any computer regardless of the drive letter assigned to it by Windows.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be added to the Abyss Web Server FAQ. I think you can also put a
file that makes the abyssws.exe startup automaticly once plugged in.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Siert
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: USB Webserver ... Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
With such a setting, the USB drive will work on any computer regardless of the drive letter assigned to it by Windows.

Thanks aprelium! It's all working now on my USB-stick ...
I installed with USB Webserver ( http://e107.nl/download.php?view.121 ) PHP, PHPMyAdmin, MySQL, Apache & e107.
I then killed "that Indian".
At last I installed Abyss Webserver X2.
And with your suggestion my USB-stick works with all drive-letters.

Great!

By the way: is it legal for me to use now X2 on a server AND on my USB-stick? Or do I have to use X1 on my USB-stick to be legal again?
Siert
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yami King wrote:
USB Webserver is a terrible webserver.

You're wrong: USB Webserver is NOT a webserver. It's only a (great) tool to put your website on a USB-stick. That's all ...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: USB Webserver ... Reply with quote

Siert wrote:
By the way: is it legal for me to use now X2 on a server AND on my USB-stick? Or do I have to use X1 on my USB-stick to be legal again?

Your license of X2 has to use the software on a single computer at a time. So if your license of X2 is used on the USB key and if that key could only be used on a single computer at a time, there is no problem.

But if your have X2 installed on your main computer and another copy (with the same license information) on the USB (and plugged to another computer), one copy has to be removed to be in accordance with the license terms.
Siert
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again aprelium!
OK, I understand. My X2 license will stay on my mainserver.

So "my USB-stick" = (USB Webserver + e107) - Apache + Abyss Webserver X1 + aprelium drive-configuration
Result = PHP, PHPMyAdmin, MySQL, Abyss Webserver X1 & e107. Woh!
(as demo, testing & development tool on an USB-stickkie = Dutch?)

Now there is only one problem left: a "tab" is needed in the USB Webserver console: from with you can access the USB-stickkie Abyss Webserver X1 console ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: