Dead Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulK
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Dead Server Reply with quote

HI Guys,

My server went bang the other night, I pressed the button to initiate the wireless mouse, three little bangs and a puff of smoke later and the server is well and truely dead.

yesterday i bought a new PSU for it which has brought limited life back, the discs now spin but there is no BIOS POST screen :(

I have removed all the cards inside, and left just the monitor and power connected, still no joy.

There is no fuse on the motherboard or anything, any ideas of what i can do next? I am guessing it's off to the hardware store for me :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the motherboards battery have you tryed to reset the bios by removing that for a min or so...?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead Server Reply with quote

PaulK,

One of the chips on the motherboard could have fried (or even the processor). The best is to test your RAM and processor on another motherboard and vice-versa.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common problem when powersupplies go bang, unfortunately it often results in a whole new server except for the hard disk :-(
Thulemanden
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it pay off to buy more expensive brands or does all qualities risk failure?
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thulemanden wrote:
Does it pay off to buy more expensive brands or does all qualities risk failure?

Any brand can fail, and they often do it in the same way. More expensive PSU's often last longer than a cheaper PSU. Best to go with a mid-range one in price.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your server going bad like that, If it was the motherboard or proccessor just buy a new PC (as these parts are generally the most expensive to replace). If it turns out to be something cheap (like RAM) browse around this site that i know of, they sell PC parts at a cheap price (iv never had any problems :D)

http://www.newegg.com

Hope you get back online soon thulemanden

Best regards,
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, going to take to pc shop tomorrow and see if it's a viable repair or if it's new insides for me.

Alas I dont have another PC to check the chips on, so I am going to put my faith in a local shop *EEK*

I can rememebr the time I used to have old pc's all over the house then one day I threw them out as I never used them *sigh*

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thulemanden wrote:

Some brands have Server class computer that are about 20% more expensive than desktop versions. From our experience this extra money is for a better PSU, better fans, and usually enhanced disk controllers (with RAID support and higher throughput).
PaulK
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, well it looked like I needed a new processor and motherboard, so i popped to the local pc store. I found myself a nice new intel motherboard which fitted my memory, but they didnt have a processor for it, so I tried AMD but this wouldn't fit my memory, so in the end I thought sod it, and am now the proud owner of a Fujitsu Scaleo P
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/products/personal_computers/scaleo_p.html

Bit of a dual core best to be running AWS pretty much all on its own, but I'm sure I'll find other uses. It's vista ready too with frere upgrade com mid february.

anyway, good to be back :)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: