Abyss X1 2.0 listening error with XPSP2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krowlands
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Abyss X1 2.0 listening error with XPSP2 Reply with quote

I've had this at home on my laptop, and we're now having it on our CCTV server at work-can anyone shed any light?

I can install Abyss 1 or 2, and on XP rc2600/XPSP1 thats it. All good. With XPSP2 though, it's fine until I reboot. I then get "Listening error", or similar.

I'm using port 80, if I hit "autodetect", I get port 1024, and so on. Then Abyss works, until the next reboot, at which point I get "listening error" and the cycle repeats.

I've turned off the firewall in control panel, and disabled the firewall service, along with the IPSEC service in services.msc. It's still happening though!

Any ideas? It only seems to happen on SP2, and it's doing my head in!

Many thanks!

Karl Rowlands
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Abyss X1 2.0 listening error with XPSP2 Reply with quote

krowlands,

It seems that you are running two instances of the server: the first is installed in the background as a Windows Service and the second is run in your user account when you log in.

To be sure, Try using ActivePort to know which application is using these ports (download it from http://www.protect-me.com/freeware.html ).
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are using Windows XP SP2, youll probably have the annoying "IIS Admin" service running.
This service is the one which is also listens to port 80(I think, a long time since I killed it).

Assuming your on XP pro(I dont think it comes with XP home anyway) goto Control Pannel->Administrative Tools->Services->IIS Admin->:Right Click:Properties->Startup Type - "Manual" or "Disabled"->"Stop"->OK

Home this solves it!
Had me for a while too :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to you both! Aprelium-you're right. I did bung it into Windows Startup as well as selecting "install as service". I'll try that on monday.

MonkeyNation-I realised I got my port wrong in the post (long week with that machine-we lost the 200gb drive and all data it had in it, so I spent 2 days with a disk editor recovering it).

I've got IIS 5.1 on port 80 for ASPX pages, and Abyss on Port 81 for my PHP/SHTML pages because I really dislike the complexity of IIS. Besides, it doesn't run a PHP calendar properly, whereas Abyss does!

All help gratefully received though-I'll have a shot on monday and see what happens.

Thanks again![/img]
Az
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question then...is it possible to get the system tray monitor while running Abyss as a Windows service without getting the listening error?
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can do that, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
I have a question then...is it possible to get the system tray monitor while running Abyss as a Windows service without getting the listening error?

You can't. If you run Abyss Web Server as a background service, it is precisely to not have it interact with the user sessions. So no tray icon is available in that mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: