Please Vote: Community Intelligence
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many servers have you gone though before stopping at Abyss?
It is my primary server - Abyss is my first attempt at serving
37%
 37%  [ 209 ]
It is my primary server - I've gone through a few others (Apache, Xitami, etc)
43%
 43%  [ 240 ]
It is my primary tinker toy - I am new and am just tinkering with it
12%
 12%  [ 72 ]
It is *not* my primary server - I use another (Apache, Xitami, etc)
5%
 5%  [ 28 ]
It is *not* my primary server and I need another server
0%
 0%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 554

cyberstyles
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to say although abyss is will only be my primary server after going through apache and looked at some others i was about to give up having a web server.

It was in the we hours oh lets 3am I told myself, I said self if you dont find a web server program on the first page in your search give it up it dont exist and wouldnt you know from google on the first page ABYSS was jumping up and down pick me pick me and i didnt and i havent been sorry for my last search.

I no longer care if there are other web servers out there they cant, wont and are not allowed to be in the same category with abyss in my Opinion but what do I know other than if it works and does what it says then im hooked.

abyss wasnt misleading in anyway and my wife could and is learning to set her own up.

Ok theres my story of my freedom with abyss. lol
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations for discovering this side of the wonderful world of webserving, cyberstyles. i have gone through the process of web server search too and have stuck with abyss. it simply works.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: My Story Reply with quote

The Abyss Web Server is and will be my server.

If you would've asked me a couple years ago, I thought only datacenters had FTP and web servers. :) I then found out I could have an FTP server! My huge hard drive at home was hooked up and I could access it at college.

Then to my amazement, I found web servers! Wow. I searched and searched for free web servers. I found Xitami, AnalogX, TinyWeb, Apache, KeyFocus, Sambar... and downloaded them all. I gave most of them a tinker.

Then I found Abyss at download.com. I couldn't be happier now.

Timeline:
  • About 7/03 - found Xitami
  • 7/03-2/04 Gave Apache a tinker
  • 12/03 - TinyWeb - very nice and simple for static HTML pages (but I never got CGI to work)
  • May 2004 - Found Abyss
  • May 2005 - Started hosting http://calvarybaptist.homedns.org (still in existence) for our church website with Abyss
  • October 22, 2005 - Purchased http://calvarybucyrus.org for our church website
Thanks, Aprelium for a great product, a great company, and great support!

http://CodeBin.yi.org
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My Story Reply with quote

pkSML wrote:
Thanks, Aprelium for a great product, a great company, and great support!

Thank you very much for this testimonial.

We'd like also to thank all everyone who has posted a message in this thread.

It is very encouraging to read such positive feedbacks from our users and customers. And this gives us more incentive to continue working hard on improving Abyss Web Server.
Jamsey the Abyss
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abyss Web server is the best :!: :!: :!:
I first heard about the Abyss server in a computer magazine. I decided to give it a try and was successful. The advantage is that you do not need a huge machine to run the server. I will certanly continue using Abyss. :D :D
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamsey the Abyss wrote:
abyss Web server is the best :!: :!: :!:
I first heard about the Abyss server in a computer magazine. I decided to give it a try and was successful. The advantage is that you do not need a huge machine to run the server. I will certanly continue using Abyss. :D :D

Which magazine was this? Could you possibly scan in and post the article about it (if there is one)? It would be nice to see what they have to say.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be like the 4th server iv tried :D i got it from download.com (CNet) mainly on the price (free that is :D) i didnt want to pay for server software as i only run a server as a hobby so i didnt want to have to pay like 200 bucks every 2 years for something i may not use that offten lol i plan to be a server administrator after i finish high school and college so i figure if i can get as much experiance in servers and HTML CSS PHP EXT..... that it would look good on my resume ;)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Riax
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new to the forums, but I've been using Abyss for over five years. Never before have I encountered any software application that continually surpasses my expectations as Abyss does.

Five years ago, when I wanted to put up my first webserver, Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" button landed me at a page that declared in big, bold letters "OMFG MICROSOFT IIS!!!!!!1111oneoneonelolol". (Ok, maybe not exactly like that. :P ) I immediately hit the back button. After browsing Apache's website and sifting through the documentation to see if it was worth the effort, I decided to explore other options. I stumbled upon Abyss Web Server X1 at C|Net Downloads, so I downloaded it and gave it a try.

Five years later, the version number and the files I host are all that's changed. :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riax wrote:
Hello. I'm new to the forums, but I've been using Abyss for over five years. Never before have I encountered any software application that continually surpasses my expectations as Abyss does.

Glad to read that especially from a very long time user. Thank you.
elaurvick
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss is the first and only server I've used. Didn't know a thing about servers except I needed one to learn PHP and test my scripts. Love it. Has a few quirks, but the documentation is excellent, and the people on the forum are very helpful. So far I haven't run into any sarcastic remarks (as on some other forums I'm in).

I had been warned that Apache is a royal pain to install and use, so I tried this one. Glad I did.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
thespikus
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw info and review on cnet.com....never done it before so i figured it was time to learn, just started last night.....have no clue as to what i am doing so far, so we will see as i learn...

thanks. there seems to be a lot of info and people here to learn from.
funkytoad
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Good Reply with quote

That was a good question.
I'm glad someone asked that!
mulawa1
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need a "real" web server as my web site is remotely hosted but I do need one to reliably test my perl & MySql code on my local machine before uploading it.

For years Xitami has worked well for me but now that the family has grown to include a Vista box I had to find an alternative. I did an exhaustive search but all I could find was Apache and having used it when I was gainfully employed I wasn't prepared to go down that esoteric path again - don't get me wrong! - used properly it's a wonderful piece of software but for my needs it's a slegehammer to crack a nut.

Just recently I repeated the whole process - trying to get Xitami to work with Vista and in my searching discovered Abyss - I just can't believe how good it is and how easy it was to set up.

I'm also mightily impressed by the strength of this user community.

Peter
anybody
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iNaNimAtE wrote:
and in response to you, crazy, if you want people to be able to have you@yourdomain.com you will need to do the following:

1. (obviously) get a domain name - use 000domains.com: 13.50 per year with web forwarding and anything else you need.
2. get some dns servers - i will recommend "zone edit (www.zoneedit.com)" until the day i die. they forward up to 5 domains to ips for free. the best part is, it acts like a real dns, so you can use the domain like your own.
3. get an email server. i am still testing it, but you can try "602 lan suite" at www.602software.com (i think)
4. then configure the email server to do webmail
OUCH!

zoneedit.com, lol, that is truly funny. All you get for free is the first five domains and then your cut off and have to pay.

MyDomain.com is 9.95 a year for a domain name. You register a domain with them you get:

FREE URL Forwarding (can be disabled)
FREE eMail Forwarding (can be disabled)
FREE DNS Management - no joke, you get FREE DNS Management for every domain you register through or transfer to them.
FREE Domain Locking / Transfer Lock
FREE SPAM Shield / WHOIS Privacy

You get all of that... FOR FREE
All you pay for is $9.95 a year for the domain it's self.

Also, I've heard no-ip.com mentioned on these forums and I hate to break it to you sadly 'cause you have to pay for every domain you add to no-ip.com's system. The only thing you get for free from them is their subdomains. DNSExit.com provides FREE DNS Management with an IP Updater utility for EVERY DOMAIN you map to their system by pointing your domain to their Name Servers with MyDomain.com's FREE DNS Management.
anybody
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used apache for 10+ years until I found abyss. What is funny about this is I had stored up like 100+ mb in hard drive space for 3rd party GUIs and mods, like mod_security, mod_ssl, etc.

I played with abyss x1 allotfor about a month on my server here at home to see how well it handled with different domains and several different website packages like phpbb, vbulletin with vbadvanced, e107, drupel, joomla, MODx, CubeCart, Zen Cart, osCommerce, etc. Took me some time to get use to abyss but it hooked me and I paid the yearly subscription for it. I've been using it ever since.

Something else I found very useful is TRUSTabyss.com's Mod Rewrite Translator for translating htaccess files for Abyss: URL Rewriting.
jeffjohn
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: abyss server Reply with quote

Abyss used as primary web server after grappling with Apache.

jeffjohn
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my primary server - Abyss is my first attempt at serving

I did look at apache but life's too short!

I think Abyss is inspirational - brilliant.

p.s. why is there not a dynamic voting form on this question??

Immemiaplaype
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Please Vote Community Intelligence Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Good day to you.

I had made some changes on my web site and tested it on my local computer,its display seems perfectly

However,when I view it in other computer which is in a network with 10 computers,my web site display fall apart Thats an overlapping of products image sit on its text description,other text fall below the fold and you need to scroll down in order to view it It is totally difference from what I view it in my computer

My computer and that particular network are running on windows xp.

May I know whats wrong with my site ? Is there any way to check and test my site on my local computer to spot any errors on it ? How to be sure its working fine on other web browser ?

I really dont know what went wrong and need your advice on this issue in order for me to slove this doubt and put my site up and running.

Many thanks for your time and effort in helping me.

Thank you.

Best regards
Manicui
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: