Need to treat myself to a watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulK
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Need to treat myself to a watch Reply with quote

Guys, very off topic, but thats what this part is for...

Tis my birthday and I have decided to treat myself to a watch, some thing I've not had in years as I have always used my phone.

Anyhoo, if you could ahve a stylish watch, which would you buy?

Im interested

Paul
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like spam at first glance this topic you know :-)

Any watch with hands and numbers does me. As long as it tells me the time thats all that bothers me :-)
NeMs
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your phone watches tend to need the battery replacing its cheaper to have a phone depending on what you spend :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
PaulK
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean I have used my phone for the time for the last 5 years or so.

Maybe I'll spend the money on a new toy
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol buy a rolex (lol kidding) But if your goinna get a watch get a good brand (i cant think of any off the top of my head) and about battery replacement, i spend about 5 dollars every 1-2 years on batterys :D
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive have a casio digital watch which has had the same battery in since I got it 3-4 years ago. Its not showing any signs of dieing soon either.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
Ive have a casio digital watch which has had the same battery in since I got it 3-4 years ago. Its not showing any signs of dieing soon either.

Yea casio's are good on batteries for some reason O.o (i think its really the brand of battery you buy)
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there PaulK,

I would recomend a watch that they make in Japan (or was it China) that never needs a battery replacement. It charges itself as you move your arm or walk or whatever. I saw this on "How Do They Do It?" on Discovery Channel lol.

I'm currently using a TIMEX IRONMAN TRIATHLON and i've had it for 12 years! and only changed the battery once. And it's digital btw.

Oh and Happy Birthday :D

Dre
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dre361224 wrote:
Hey there PaulK,

I would recomend a watch that they make in Japan (or was it China) that never needs a battery replacement. It charges itself as you move your arm or walk or whatever.

iv seen this, it uses centriptial force to couse the altinator to chare the battery
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... funny this should come up at this time when email spam about fake watches have recently been flooding my gmail account. :-D

there are lots of seiko's out there that are self-charging - charge by light, charge by kinetic energy (movement), etc.

citizen's eco-drive also share some similar self-charging characteristics.

what you need to do is to narrow down your choices first. what do you prefer? a nice dress watch (mostly metallic band), a casual one (leather bands), or sporty (digitals, or those with bands made of rubber-like or some plastic-like material). or maybe you'd like to have one under each category.

i think it would be a good idea to go for swiss watches when you pick dress watches (think breitling, tudor, patek-philippe, rolex, baume et mercier, etc.). also, look for brands from older swiss companies - stylistically, they should last longer. no offense to french, italian and english brands, but i find them rather extemporaneous aesthetically. however, one notable exception is cartier. rado's are ugly in my opinion but they sure know how to make tough scratch-proof dress watches.

for sporty ones, timex, casios and those other japanese brands perform neatly in this category. tag heuer and longines can also be good choices.

for casual watches, the options are too broad. you can browse swatch collections to get some ideas. tissot's look very tech-ish and i always find a hard time how to categorize their watches.

and there you go. after re-reading what i just wrote here, i realize that instead of narrowing down your choices, i must have only added more problems than solutions hahaha sorry about that.

actually, i have too many watches but most of them have been given to me as gifts - especially my more costly collections. i confess i sometimes buy imitation watches though, especially when i'm abroad (yes, i tend to be more consciously gullible when i'm out of my home country).

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rolex watch that I got from a cousin. its very nice and hasn't had a single problem!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would like a breitling, but their damn expensive
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
I have a rolex watch that I got from a cousin. its very nice and hasn't had a single problem!

Rolexes are AWSOME! but they are expensive :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: