Intranet setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgbaten
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Intranet setup Reply with quote

Hello!

I am less than a newbie, I haven't even downloaded the software yet. I am extremely excited about AWS, but before I start installing, and create a problem for myself, I have 4 questions.

1. I am a WAN/LAN admin who has 3 buildings connected by hardware VPN. I need an intranet for to connect some specific directories allow users to access these files through an organized web page linked format. Many of the PCs in the WAN/LAN have internet access, but I don't want the intranet accessible to the outside world. How do I know that going through the initial setup won't expose me to the public? Is it closed by default? I am a little panicked from all the IIS security holes I've read about, which is why I never set this up before.

2. Is there a search tool available for AWS that allows me to search for documents linked to the intranet?

3. Should I host the site on a separate PC in the LAN? or should I use my main workstation since AWS has a small footprint?

4. I have a spare Apple G4 in my inventory. If I do set up a separate machine, will Win2K users have issues accessing directories on Win2K servers through the web pages hosted on an Apple?

I'm sorry to be lengthy, I just have some anxiety that I must settle before I go ahead with this project. I thank you for your help! :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Mikor
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Intranet setup Reply with quote

cgbaten wrote:
1. I am a WAN/LAN admin who has 3 buildings connected by hardware VPN. I need an intranet for to connect some specific directories allow users to access these files through an organized web page linked format. Many of the PCs in the WAN/LAN have internet access, but I don't want the intranet accessible to the outside world. How do I know that going through the initial setup won't expose me to the public? Is it closed by default? I am a little panicked from all the IIS security holes I've read about, which is why I never set this up before.

Nobody from the internet will be able to access your site unless you forward port 80 in your router - if you want to be even more secure you could put a php script in your index.php file to redirect internet viewers

[quote="cgbaten"]2. Is there a search tool available for AWS that allows me to search for documents linked to the intranet?[/php]
Nope, but its not that hard to code a simple one in php.

cgbaten wrote:
3. Should I host the site on a separate PC in the LAN? or should I use my main workstation since AWS has a small footprint?

It would have better performance on a dedicated machine - but that's not necessary.

cgbaten wrote:
4. I have a spare Apple G4 in my inventory. If I do set up a separate machine, will Win2K users have issues accessing directories on Win2K servers through the web pages hosted on an Apple?

Since the internet isnt limited by os - should be no problems at all.

MSN:
michael_walker_2004 <at> hotmail <dot> com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Mikor
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Intranet setup Reply with quote

cgbaten wrote:

Nobody from the internet will be able to access your site unless you forward port 80 in your router - if you want to be even more secure you could put a php script in your index.php file to redirect internet viewers

cgbaten wrote:
2. Is there a search tool available for AWS that allows me to search for documents linked to the intranet?

Nope, but its not that hard to code a simple one in php.

cgbaten wrote:

It would have better performance on a dedicated machine - but that's not necessary.

cgbaten wrote:

Since the internet isnt limited by os - should be no problems at all.

MSN:
cgbaten
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thanks Mikor, I am moving forward with confidence!
2 more questions:

1. I'm guessing from your response to the Intranet Search question that I can probably find the scripts I need on the Net and modify them as necessary. Do I use an editor and save the results as a .php page and put it in /htdocs or is it more complicated?

2. If I need a shared Calendar to go on the Intranet, do you have any suggestions where I can find any?

Thanks again, I don't mean to be a pest, php, asp, and the like are new to me!
Mikor
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all you need to setup php and mysql - download mysql at www.mysql.com and have a look in the server documentation for a tutorial on installing php.

MSN:
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutorials for PHP and MySQL can be found on www.abyssunderground.co.uk/tutorials.php
cgbaten
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks again... Reply with quote

for your help, Mikor and AU. GREAT, EASY TO FOLLOW tutorials on the AbyssUnderground site! The first mySQL/PHP instuctions I really understand!
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks again... Reply with quote

cgbaten wrote:
for your help, Mikor and AU. GREAT, EASY TO FOLLOW tutorials on the AbyssUnderground site! The first mySQL/PHP instuctions I really understand!

Thats what they're there for :-)
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks... Reply with quote

cgbaten wrote:
2. If I need a shared Calendar to go on the Intranet, do you have any suggestions where I can find any?

Concerning PHP calendars, check out some of the links here --> http://stephen.calvarybucyrus.org/google/google.php?q=sourceforge+php+calendar&start=0

For PHP Calendar (the first search result), here is a screenshot --> http://freshmeat.net/screenshots/20657/21930/
Is something like this what you're looking for?
---------------------
Also, I have learned PHP very easily at http://www.tizag.com/phpT. Very simple, concise, and decent examples.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: