Modem or Router?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapor
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Modem or Router? Reply with quote

I have Qwest DSL and I'm using a Actiontec GT701 DSL Modem. I can't get my site running. I've done everything on the Sticky Post and throughout the forum. Do I need a router in addition to my modem?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
phirez
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actiontec modem and a netgear router. But shouldn't need a router to run your webserver. But what i had to do was port forward both my negear router and actiontec modem. The modem config is your real ip adress not the fake "192.168.00.00" adresses. So go to http://whatismyip.com and type that adress in for the modem config.

Last edited by phirez on Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
bprsk8r4272
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a router you only need if you have mutiple computers and wanna share the internet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bprsk8r4272 wrote:
a router you only need if you have mutiple computers and wanna share the internet

I wouldn't agree. The big advantage of the router in that situation is that it maintains the broadband connection even if your PC is rebooted (either knowingly or in your absence by accident or forced update). I found it quite hard work to get a modem to reconnect automatically at boot time. On older PC's I also trusted the network card rather more than the USB connection, although for a modern PC this shouldn't matter.

Regards
Chris
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
phirez
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Router also gives a extra layer of security.
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phirez and edimatrix.

lol no extra layer of security unless it integrates a firewall and edi oh god edi.. you don't have to have anything connected to a modem apart from a phone line or cable and power lead for it to be connected ton the isp and the internet.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humm yea i think the stickys are talking about routers if your server is connected to the moden directly you shouldnt have to worry about port forwarding (since you only have 1 ip address) just go to http://www.whatismyip.com and copy your IP address down, then type it in and your browser should take you to your website (if your server is online)
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.wiseone
That's true but most decent routers intergrate firewalls.
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh oopsies woopsies

i thought we were referring to my switch :)

sorries ><D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: