Want to extend your update protection?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fearworksmedia
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Want to extend your update protection? Reply with quote

NO!!! (edit 06.04.2016 - well, actually, YES!!! See my other posts :) )

I certainly do not - you haven't released even a minor software update in over 12 months, so why do you think I'd be happy to spend more money on... well, on nothing!?!?

I assume you're either not developing this software any more, or that you feel you don't need to do so. So you don't need my money any more.

We changed server software during 2015, and don't intend to come back to Abyss.

We've been here before, of course. A quick check back through the forum will show questions being raised a couple of years ago about software updates. Back then, quite a few people joined in the conversation. However, no one else seems to have mentioned anything about updates for a long while, so either no one is using Abyss anymore, no one cares about up-to-date software, or Aprelium are resting on their laurels and will say something like "it doesn't need updating, it's already secure".

If that's the case, implement some new features, like a control panel for each user! Do SOMETHING with people's money!

Anyway, I'm gone. Over and out.

Last edited by fearworksmedia on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
badai
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you request for any new feature?

i they can think of any new feature or find any bug, i am sure they will release update. if not, what do you expect? at least request something.
Miuccia
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason I didn't renew my update subscription. It's not that I didn't want to, but it would be a waste of money. The last update is from 2014. In the meanwhile there have been a lot of new technologies like HTTP2 and SPDY etc. that aren't implemented by Abyss. Bring out an exciting new version and I will definitly purchase X2 again.
fearworksmedia
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may (or then again, may not) surprise folks that I still visit this forum regularly, despite my original post above, to keep up to date with the current releases and news, etc.

I still think it's a damn shame that Aprelium don't seem to make an obvious effort to update or release a new version or Abyss, but if we're in a very niche corner here (and I have no idea how many people are using Abyss!) then I can understand that Aprelium really don't want to throw money at something that's not generating enough interest and enough profit.

Shortly after posting my original post, I got an e-mail from Aprelium. I won't post it word-for-word here as that may be against the rules - but I will summarise the main points - and add that it was a friendly e-mail! In it, they told me:

1. Abyss 2.10 was to be released during January (I assume 2016), following a period where that version had been running this very site during the prior testing phase.

2. Lapsed customers would be offered the update without charge.

I waited throughout January and into February, but now we are in March and there is no sign of the update. Logging into the member-only download part of the site, I get told I already have the latest version (2.9.3.6) and that I can no longer access new versions. So if there's a newer version there, I can't get to it!

It's a real pity - a REAL pity. Abyss was what I used since 2007 when I first set up my first web server. I dabbled with Apache and IIS, and now use the latter on any server I set up as Abyss just feels very unsupported right now.

Even a regular maintenance release every 6 months where the version number changes would be better than nothing, for me, because I would feel there's still a company backing it and that it's future-proof. Realistically I would hope for more than that in a update, but anything would make be feel more at ease than using a web server software that just "feels" abandoned, because I know at some point when some new technology or web programming language comes along I am going to need to be able to implement it and I don't want to know that day is coming where I have to decide to move on from Abyss. So that's my reason for already having chosen other server software.

@badai: no, I haven't personally requested new features. Well, actually I have. I asked years ago about individual customer control panels as well as the admin control panel. For some reason I think Aprelium have always been allergic to the idea of this as - in my mind at least - it wouldn't be difficult. Just clone the admin control panel, remove certain "admin-only" elements and lock it down to the specified user's domain/account/profile. But as @Miuccia states, I would have expected at least maintenance of the product rather than nothing, and there ARE new technologies that I'm not bothered about right now, but will no doubt need at some point in the future so would want to know they are there ready to make use of - it's that "future-proofing" aspect again which is very important to me. So I don't agree that I should have to actively request a new feature in order to see an update appear.

@Miuccia: You echo my exact thoughts. It's not that I don't want to renew my update subscription. It's just that it doesn't make any business/logical sense to do so if an update hasn't appeared for two years. At the moment, it works out cheaper to buy it, let your update support lapse, then buy it again if and when a new version finally appears.

@Aprelium: Surely the length of this post shows that I still care, but that I'm just not willing to pay you for nothing. Your product is too good to make me need support with it - because it works so well. The only issue I have ever had with it was when Google Chrome was doing a funny caching thing with sites, but we got past that. Abyss Web Server deserves to live on, if you can still support it from a business perspective. If it's not working out financially, I understand. I develop software and I wouldn't want to spend time on something that isn't going to sell, or may only sell a few copies. So I do understand if that's the case.

As I said in my original post, we changed server software last year. What I didn't say was that I didn't want to do this, but it felt like I had to do it to "future-proof" my work - there's that phrase again. I said we don't intend to come back to Abyss, and I still have no reason to do so. I would LIKE to, but at the moment don't INTEND to.

Release the mysterious 2.10 (or later!) update and I might be tempted back...
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Abyss as my sole webserver solution for well over a decade now, and I've rarely had trouble with it, and no trouble at all that wasn't resolved quickly and effectively by Aprelium.

I too am sad to see the development stop, and I'm sure that it has because, IMO, there's damned little new in the world of webservers. SPDY would be great, but I'm hardly suffering by the lack of it. Beyond that, what's changed that I need? I can't think of anything, and the software already works so well I don't feel any need to look elsewhere.

So if there's nothing new and they're not taking my money unnecessarily, that's fine by me.

If and when a new version comes out with cool new features and fixes, I'll be first in line. In the meantime, well, I've served billions of hits and I keep doing so. I'm happy.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We invite you to read our post about the state of Abyss Web Server and its future at http://aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=561683 .
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
fearworksmedia
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I feel I ought to post this.

Aprelium have finally released version 2.11 of Abyss Web Server. Not only that but they have extended update protection for some customers (or maybe all? I'm not too sure).

This is great news. I finally have the update I whinged about! It also reassures me that Aprelium are healthy and still supporting their software, which is a major (MAJOR!) factor for me, and probably other people too. The latest version seems to be, as always, a great improvement - for me, SNI allowing multiple SSLs on one IP is the stand-out feature, but of course behind the scenes all of the security enhancements will keep my sites secure and at the cutting edge of internet security.

Aprelium, I am glad we've found ourselves in this position, and long may it continue!

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: