help im sinking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozymandias_k
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: help im sinking Reply with quote

Hi all,

It is interesting how easy something looks but when you set it all up to find that something has gone wrong.
I have been working on this problem, which has turned from a few mouse clicks to a daymare.

Here is my situation:

I have set up abyss x1 on my 2.8 gig xp pro system.

Everything looks good from my local host and routed ip 192.168.1.104. I see the server start page with the abyss logo and so fourth. Says server working fine.

I have configured my linksys WRT54G wireless router to port forwarding 1 smtps1 25 to 25 both 192.168.1.104 enable. I tried 80 to 80 as well.
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

That ip is the one on the network side of my router. The ip lookup from Comcast is 24,18.118.185.

It seems I have failed to configure something properly because my server is not accessible from the Internet.

I have tried multiple port settings which include port 80,8080,8081,1024 80 and 1024 worked as far as seeing my server on the network side but not the Internet side of course.

I am starting to bleed out of my eye socket’s on this one and I am sure humbled by what I thought would be an easy process. I hope I can get this up and running so I can upgrade to x2 when I have the confidence of running x1.

Please help if you can I am starting to go wacko over this.

Thanks
Ozy=)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you add access to any local firewalls on your computer plus allow it through windows firewall? try turning off firewalls for a sec and see if it works. The port to get to websites is 80, unless otherwise defined.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ozymandias_k
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: re: help im sinking Reply with quote

I have all firewalls turned off. I should have stated that before in my original request, sorry.

Bingo I just got it figured out.

My router has an expansion port with eight more plugs for my network. I changed the plugs and moved the cable that the server computer is on from the button directly to my router and put the external ip address in my browser then I configured the router to the private network ip 192.168...
seems to show up on the net now. Oh happy day!

Now I need to figure out how to load a web page arrrg =(
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks much!
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by load a webpage? you mean so that it automatically shows the page instead of the one that lets you navigate through the folders? just put a file named index.*, the * being anything from .html, .php, .cgi, or whatever else you define index pages as in the console.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ozymandias_k
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using coolpage for my web design. I have only used ezhosts ftp to load it on their server so I am at a loss as to how to put it on my abyss server. Its a navagateable site=)
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to put the files you want to have hosted into the correct directory within the program's file if you didn't change it. It shuld be something like

C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\

put all your files that you want hosted into there, and they will show up
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a free WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor, I use and recommend Cutepage from Sourcetec. It's not available for download from their site, but you can get it here.

It's worth a try because it's free!

Edit: URL changed for CutePage.

http://CodeBin.yi.org

Last edited by pkSML on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ozymandias_k
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the help folks!!! I am impressed with the level of help I have got here! I am playing with the cutepage program and exploring the insights you have given me to put me back on track!

Thanks so much and if you have any more goodies in your bag of tools I would really appreciate your input!

Thanks ever so much!!
Ozy
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good WYSIWYG editor that I use is Mozilla Suite Composer. It works well, and with Photoshop and ImageReady you can make some really good websites. Its avaible from Mozilla's website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: