Control From Home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Control From Home Reply with quote

Well, now that I'm up and running, it's time to check it out....ummmm, lol there is away to connect remotely from my house to the (Abyss)server @ work right?..if so, please drop the info here, would make my life easyer.

If it makes a diffrence, it is running on Windows Server2003 SE
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Control From Home Reply with quote

ChrisM2 wrote:
Well, now that I'm up and running, it's time to check it out....ummmm, lol there is away to connect remotely from my house to the (Abyss)server @ work right?..if so, please drop the info here, would make my life easyer.

If it makes a diffrence, it is running on Windows Server2003 SE

This question has been asked before so in future please use the search function on the forum.

This link will explain it to you: http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8213&highlight=remote+console
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: OK, again i ask... Reply with quote

err, saw that, no help, how about a step by step just incase we, (I), are missing somthing here.

Tried to set router to alow 9999, says it's not a port number. am i missing something?...i have my ip address at home alowed here at work on the console....that's about as far as i got. I'm testing it from my own compter on the network here at work, and still isn't lettng me in, figure it's something verry elementry, but....i'm one to miss the obvious sometimes, and I still lack some basic knowledge here, i kick myself in the head when i realize the "dumbness" of questions, and the "duh" of the answer.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably your router being a pain. Technology can often do that :-)

Try changing console ports and trying it in your router. It may be that your router will only allow certain ports.

That link should help if thats what you want to do.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be stating the obvious here, but you are trying to configure your router at work to open port 9999, not your home router?

Also, be aware that some routers do not support loopback - accessing the local network via the internet IP. If you can connect to your main website from your PC at work via your internet IP/domain name, this does not apply here.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

ok, I'm at home, and i can access my router at work from here. It will let me log into that with :9999 after ip addy. Yes, i was trying to set up the router at work for 9999 when it said it wasn't a valid port number. Now, this may be a dumb question, but, what do i put exacrtly as an address to reach the console at work? Maybe i have it configured right, just not going where i'm suposed to be going to reach it.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From home - http://www.trcok.com:9999

From work, if http://www.trcok.com/ works on your PC in the office, http://www.trcok.com:9999 should also work.

If http://www.trcok.com/ doesn't work on your PC in the office you must use http://LANIPoftheserver:9999

Are you using a consumer grade or professional router at work? If you dig up the model number we can take a look at the manual and make sure you're in the right section of the configuration. If it has a web based configuration, a screenshot of the section where you're trying to enter 9999 would be useful.

aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Control From Home Reply with quote

ChrisM2,

You'll need to configure the port forwarding for port 9999 on your work router in a similar way to what you did for port 80.
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: router Reply with quote

the router is a Gigafast EE400-R found at http://www.gigafast.com/products/product_detail/EE400-R.htm

typeing in www.trcok.com:9999 takes me no where, where as my servr ip addy plus :9999 takes me to my router at work, from home. the www.trcok.com, can be reached from anywhere that i am at, home or work. I think Aprelium is right, it is still a setting in the router, like setting up port 80. I tried that with 9999 but you know what i typed earlyer about that. Inquisitor said to try changeing console ports, but i have expierimented with that before, and i always get a red spot flashing on the icon tray over the abyss icon, and nothing can be reached, so, i just leave it at it's default settings. If anyone has any info on my router, let me know. I will try to post screen shots of what my routers console looks like when i get a chance.

Last edited by ChrisM2 on Tue May 02, 2006 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Gigafast/EE400-R/HTTP.htm but instead or using port 80 use port 9999 for your console port.
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: right Reply with quote

umm, :) Inquisitor... :) this is what i have been saying the whole time, i have done that, and it won't let me set the port to 9999, says it's not a valid port number.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: right Reply with quote

ChrisM2 wrote:
umm, :) Inquisitor... :) this is what i have been saying the whole time, i have done that, and it won't let me set the port to 9999, says it's not a valid port number.

Ah right. Does it say "invalid port number" for any of the other ports? If you find a port it doesnt then try that as your console port.
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

refer back to my posts 2 posts ago about the red spot.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

ChrisM2 wrote:
refer back to my posts 2 posts ago about the red spot.

The red icon means the server is stopped or halted. The port you changed it to was probably in use. Try another.
roganty
-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help.

but you could set the router at work to listen on a different port number, and then forward that traffic to the server on port 9999

for example:
router receives address: http://url:99
and forwards it to: http://lanip:9999

just a thought

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

ChrisM2,

In http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Gigafast/EE400-R/EE400-Rindex.htm, there are examples of port forwardings using port numbers such as 5900 (VNC) so you can try such values for the port number.

Note that from a technical point of view, any integer between 1 and 65534 is a valid TCP port number. So unless there is a limitation/bug in the router, there is no reason why it should refuse 9999.

We suggest also that you follow Roganty's suggestion: you can still use 9999 as the console port in Abyss Web Server but configure another external port on the router (any port that your will accept), and forward it to 9999 on the LAN IP.
phastmike
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote

Did you check if your firewall is blocking port 9999?
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also opt to try another port for the abyss console, maybe like port 70 or 90. you can change the abyss console port at your work pc, by first going through http://localhost:9999/console/parameters/. then, you can configure your work router to forward that port instead (70 or 90 in this example).

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loloyd wrote:
you can also opt to try another port for the abyss console, maybe like port 70 or 90. you can change the abyss console port at your work pc, by first going through http://localhost:9999/console/parameters/. then, you can configure your work router to forward that port instead (70 or 90 in this example).

You realise this topic is 2 months old?
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
Yes, I do. Do you have a problem with that? Haven't you been "vetoed" on this issue?

AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loloyd wrote:
AbyssUnderground wrote:
Yes, I do. Do you have a problem with that? Haven't you been "vetoed" on this issue?

The fact of the matter remains, that old topics being brought up are annoying. Did the original author posts to say it was solved or not? No. We can assume the author solved it or just doesn't care anymore. Ive been a member of this forum for some time now, and you are the only member Ive found that keeps bringing up old topics, despite being "nicely" asked not to because its not appropriate in those situations. I agree, sometimes it can be appropriate if its an "information" topic, but not something like this topic. I don't want to start a flame war or anything like that, Im simply stating that a lot of the times you've brought up old topics, it simply hasnt been appropriate.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground, my "bringing back up" old topics only annoy you and not other board members. And no matter whatever you say, no matter whatever you do, I will always do the same thing as long as I stay privileged to do such. I am bound only by my will and by my noblest intentions of not ruining the board unnecessarily. So far and to the best of my knowledge, I have stayed here peacefully and not in any confrontational manner.

Besides, any topic posted in this forum is not meant to serve only the original author or the thread starter. This is a public board. Anybody can learn from anyone else.

I will not be bound by what you say, what you do, or however you complain here. You will just have to learn to live with it.

If I ask you "nicely" to please stop complaining about such petty stuff, will you even listen?

Tim1681
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loloyd,

Can you please stop bringing up old topics. It is annoying.

Thank You.

Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you weren't both busy being so anally retentive, you'd have noticed it was phastmike who resurrected the topic with

phastmike wrote:
Did you check if your firewall is blocking port 9999?

If anyone is browsing through and trying to add helpful advice, it's reasonable to expect that if it is at the top of the section (because phastmike replied to it) then it is a current issue.

In other news, how you (AbyssUnderground) try moderating on your own forum which you obviously felt there was a need for and stop memberating on this one. The forum rules are now agreed on and clearly posted, if you have issues with users breaking them you should try PMing Aprelium about them rather than adding a mini flamewar to every topic that is brought back to life. The longer you keep arguing about whether the topic should have been posted in or not, the longer the dead topic stays at the top of the section.

AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim1681 wrote:
loloyd,

Thank You.

Thank you for your support.

Anonymoose,

I did notice who brought it back up, but loloyd continued it... But anyway, whatever.

Oh and I do moderate my own forum, but no-one brings up old topics.
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do have to agree with 'AbyssUnderground' that bringing up old topics from months ago is annoying. If the topic is of importance that can be really useful then maybe yes or as a sticky for awhile but for such topics as this which are also quite common does become quite irratating. If you reply to this one are you going to reply to all that have this topic? Yes it might be useful for some who are having problems but simply by doing a search they will find the information they are looking for and most likly be able to fix it them selfs. If not then starting a fresh topic can be very helpful.

Also saying statements like

Quote:
'And no matter whatever you say, no matter whatever you do, I will always do the same thing as long as I stay privileged to do such'

You are just trying to annoy people more. Also since you joined very recently '03 Mar 2006' surley you should be making friends so those times you get stuck people are more happy to help you.

AbyssUnderground has also been here a long time and does know what he is talking about and can be quite helpful at the times you need him so a little respect would not hurt.

I don't mean to sound boring I just want to point these couple of facts out to you.

Hope you enjoy your stay at Aprelium Forums

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
168pin
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, flamewar

Everything seems to spark a flamewar here.

And now, I've probably just added fuel to the fire, since some people don't know when to shut up.
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is both sides of this argument have their points.

Of course it is 'annoying' when you respond to a post Posted 6+ months before.

But also not everyone uses the search to begin with.

When I join a forum and they have a 'Rules - PLEASE READ' as a sticky I dont read it, because I'm already a member of other forums, and most forums rules are the same. But here we've put into action new rules that most forums dont have. And people come into this forum desperate for help and just post their problem. I myself have used the search button a bunch of times and it takes awhile to get the result I'm looking for since much of the keywords that define my problem are used in countless other posts also.

So how could we improve on this issue? First thing that comes to my mind is a Forum User Contributed FAQ Section, but how to implement this and make it functional and user friendly is not my job. It is the communities. Ideas? =]

Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So how could we improve on this issue? First thing that comes to my mind is a Forum User Contributed FAQ Section, but how to implement this and make it functional and user friendly is not my job. It is the communities. Ideas? =]

Difficult considering the number of popular questions asked. No one will willingly sit down and look through all the FAQ posts. Thats why search is possibly better in this situation.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we force people to read the FAQ when they're a first time user to the
forum. This should help solve our problems, don't you think?
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim1681 wrote:
loloyd,

Thank You.
Since you asked nicely, I shall consider it. But as Anonymoose has pointed out, this topic was clearly not resurrected by me.

I may not be able to guarantee that I will stop resurrecting old topics though, especially if I find that there's something useful to add to it. If you look very closely, if ever I do resurrect an old topic, it would be for a thoughtfully noble or a responsibly needy reason.

Tim1681 wrote:
Please do note that this topic is just a little less than 3 months old.

AbyssUnderground wrote:
Oh and I do moderate my own forum, but no-one brings up old topics.
This is not your own forum. Your forum rules does not necessarily apply here. And I don't have any plans nor interest in joining your forum either. I also host multiple forums but I may not be as myopic a moderator/admin as some people are exhibiting to be in their own forums.

max_carpenter wrote:
I do have to agree with 'AbyssUnderground' that bringing up old topics from months ago is annoying. If the topic is of importance that can be really useful then maybe yes or as a sticky for awhile but for such topics as this which are also quite common does become quite irratating. If you reply to this one are you going to reply to all that have this topic? Yes it might be useful for some who are having problems but simply by doing a search they will find the information they are looking for and most likly be able to fix it them selfs. If not then starting a fresh topic can be very helpful.
I do not intend to reply to each topic that is similar to this one. It just so happened that it was bumped by phastmike. Starting a fresh topic may not be as helpful as you think, especially speaking from experience. You see, I also moderate and administer a few forums myself, not to mention a mere member to a few others. What's common to all the forums I get involved with is the unwritten rule to actually minimize the number of topics posted by actually piecing together threads that have very similar or nearly identical topics. It makes for a more efficient board. Read this thread http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9199 for enlightenment.

max_carpenter wrote:
Also saying statements like

Quote:
'And no matter whatever you say, no matter whatever you do, I will always do the same thing as long as I stay privileged to do such'

You are just trying to annoy people more. Also since you joined very recently '03 Mar 2006' surley you should be making friends so those times you get stuck people are more happy to help you.

AbyssUnderground has also been here a long time and does know what he is talking about and can be quite helpful at the times you need him so a little respect would not hurt.
It is not my intention to annoy people here - never was, never has been. If you observe closely, the attitude that AbyssUnderground has brought in strikes more annoyance than what I have said which is just retaliatory to his comments. Besides, it's not only AbyssUnderground that has the capacity to help here. And in our own PMs to each other, I did acknowledge his longer stay in this forum. Although I have stayed longer than him in this Earth though. If he cannot afford me any respect, then he can simply expect the same thing.

Edit: I also wonder why you would view my action as trying to annoy people while it was he who was unauthoritatively imposing his own set of rules on me.

Tim1681 wrote:
For the record, I do moderate and administer a few boards myself and several very active mailing lists on top of that. And I share the pains of moderating a board as I have first-hand experience how time-consuming it is to moderate threads and such. Personally, I prefer an efficient board where identical topics are limited to one thread. So clearly, what may be annoying to you is actually efficient for me who has over 10 years experience in community-wise moderation activities. Not searching enough is actually not an issue here, it is petty complaints.

There will always be newbies. There will always be newbies who irresponsibly post without searching first. This is not what I have done here. And yet I have maintained a fair amount of temper and decorum as I make my postings in this forum.

AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you don't understand is that this board is different to the one's you administer. Some of us don't like people bringing up old topics and prefer new ones to be made, because 99% of the time, the topic resurrected turns into another topic almost straight away.

EDIT: Oh, and if you think this forum is bad, you should visit a forum I go to where bringing up topics older than a month is a bannable offence. Also, flame wars is a bannable offence. Posts like this one will have me, you and various other people banned. Think yourself lucky that its not that forum. I know I do.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
What you don't understand is that this board is different to the one's you administer.
Exactly my point too. This is also different to the ones you administer yourself. So why do you still complain?

AbyssUnderground wrote:
Some of us don't like people bringing up old topics and prefer new ones to be made, because 99% of the time, the topic resurrected turns into another topic almost straight away.
Our problem is some of us prefer minimized number of threads than multiple threads on the same topic. So clearly, there's no point in your imposition of the ruleset that you wish to see on me, unless it has been supported by the forum administration.

AbyssUnderground wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and if you think this forum is bad, you should visit a forum I go to where bringing up topics older than a month is a bannable offence. Also, flame wars is a bannable offence. Posts like this one will have me, you and various other people banned. Think yourself lucky that its not that forum. I know I do.
Frankly, I don't think this forum is bad. It is still very organized and has a very friendly welcoming atmosphere, with the exception of a few petty complaint postings. Some people in this forum are very stubborn though. Admittedly, that includes you and me. Also, I do not consider our exchanges to be a full-fledged flame war yet as we have not actually resorted to hostility and personal insults. I have no intention of going in that direction though. And, it's a good thing that this is the only forum we get to see each other with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_war wrote:
Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a discussion board on the Internet. Such messages are called flames, and are sometimes posted in response to flamebait.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: