Home Network Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Femto
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Home Network Issue Reply with quote

Hello,

Glad to be here :D Now, lately I've been trying to network the computers in my home, and have been so far successful. There are 4 computers on the network, 2 are connected via switch, 2 just from the router.

All of the computers can see each other, thankfully. All of the computers can access each other, except one. One of my computers, is being a pain. It will not let other computers access it, it can access everyone else's computers, but will not let anyone access itself. It is running Windows XP HE, 2 of the other computers are running WinXP HE too, except for my main rig, which has WinXP Professional. I've tried disabling the firewall, configuring the firewall. Etc, etc, all to no avail.

It seems to have a "Shared Documents" folder, which is supposedly accessable to the workgroup. Lies! I always get the same error message when I double click on his computer's icon in the "My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/"Family" (Workgroup), the error mesage is: \\Ross (my bro's computer, the stupid one) is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource, please contact the administrator of this server...blah blah.

WinXP HE has simple file sharing enabled by default, I'm 100% positive he has a shared folder (shared documents) so it should work, but alas, that is not the case.

Thanks in advance,
Femto :)

Also, this board is pretty sweet ;)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a question? I didnt see a single question mark in that post ;-)

Try adding a shared drive on the subborn computer, and try again. Usually works for me.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running secpol.msc from the Start|Run... command and examine each Policy that starts with Network access under Security Settings|Security Options.

Under User Rights Assignment, check also the policy "Deny access to this computer from the network". Guest should not be under the Security Setting column for this entry.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: