primary and secondairy DNS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wim
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: primary and secondairy DNS Reply with quote

I just purchased the X2 version of Abyss server, its just a brilliant piece of software. I run it on a windows 2000 server without Active Directory because i want to use it as a virtual hosting webserver.
I plan to put the server in co-location. Therefore i need two DNS'sen, a primary and a secondary.

How do i setup the DNS of Windows 2000 in a safe manner and
Has anyone have experience in connecting a second IP to the first DNS to simulate an secondary DNS? or is ther another solution?

perhaps this is not possible but what is the solution using only ony physical server? Or do i need a physical second server for the secondary DNS?

regards, Wim
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I don't think this is possible.

DNS servers are set up when you purchase a domain name, and come from your domain provider. They simply point the domain name(s) to your IP address.

It seems you're looking for server redundancy. If one fails, you want to have the other server load.

The point of DNS, as you're perceiving it is to check your web servers, and use the primary if it's available. Otherwise, point to the redundant secondary server. Like I mentioned, I don't think this is possible.

Also, it would not make sense, if this were possible, to have the DNS server running on your primary web server computer. If it were to fail, you'd have no computer acting as the DNS server for that domain.
------------------------------------------------
Anyways, if you can find a free host with PHP scripting, you could use a script to create this setup you're looking for. It could check your primary server for an HTTP status code, with a timeout value. If it reached this timeout value, it could redirect the client's browser to your second server.

Does this make any sense? :)

You can read up about DNS at http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm/printable.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wim
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I was not clear enough,

I have purchased a few (.nl) domainnames.
To redirect them to the IP address of my Windows 2000 server I need to specify to the TopLevelDomainname Administrator a Primary an Secondary DNS.

This will be my DNS, running on my server. Both DNSes could be the same database but need a different IP address (No problem with Windows 2000) This is a requirement of the TLD Administrator.

Since I have only one physical server they need to run on that one server.

So i have basically two questions:
1. How do i setup the Windows 2000 DNS for Abyss server (no Active Directory).
2. Is it possible to couple a second IP address to my DNS so that for the world it looks like there is a secondary DNS as well.

regards, Wim
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wim wrote:
So i have basically two questions:
1. How do i setup the Windows 2000 DNS for Abyss server (no Active Directory).

DNS is independant from the web server. Your DNS server will be contacted by computers who will try to connect to the host names declared on your DNS server. The DNS server will give them the actual IP corresponding to the given host name. This is purely a host name -> IP conversion only.

Quote:
2. Is it possible to couple a second IP address to my DNS so that for the world it looks like there is a secondary DNS as well.

You should ask your ISP to assign to you a second IP address and configure your OS or your router to have two IP addresses. Otherwise, you could get a second connection to the Internet with a second IP and a second router and this will solve the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: