Modem bridging Port forwarding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pchambers
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Modem bridging Port forwarding Reply with quote

Trying to set up a web server at home. DNS records have been updated to point a sub domain to my static IP address.

I have a Zoom 3X modem/router connected to a Linksys WRT54G router. The Zoom has been configured to PPP half bridge with the NAT disabled. The public static IP is seen by the WRT35G. I can use remote management for the WRT35G using port 8080 without any problems, which I believe confirms that the DNS records and modem bridging are working correctly.

All remote test are carried out using dial up to remove the loopback issues seen when testing from the LAN side. The PC running Abyss X! has been assigned a local static IP of 192.168.1.130 and this work as does port 9999

The Linksys have had ports 80 forwarded to this local static IP. When viewing over the internet I just get a time out. So the problem is to do with the port forwarding but I can't see where the problem is.

I don't believe port 80 is blocked, but I have tried other ports and these are also not being forward by the linksys.

Quote:

Login Type : Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address : x.x.12.205
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : x.x.12.206
DNS 1 : 10.0.0.2
DNS 2 : 212.159.6.10
DNS 3 : 212.159.6.9
MTU : 1500

The above is the internet configuration for the linksys and the only possible cause of the problem could be the default gateway the Linksys is getting from the Zoom modem (PPP half bridge). This is the next IP up from mine. This does not seem to be correct to me but I don't know what has to be done to correct this.

Help :) [/quote]
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ISP's block port 80. Remember to change the port forwarding on the router whenever you change the port on Abyss.

Use www.portforward.com to make sure you are forwarding the ports correctly. It might be worth using static LAN IP's if you are running a sever. This reduces the risk of it changing when the DHCP reassigns the IP's.
pchambers
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plusnet does not block port 80 but have also tried ports 8080 and 8081 as these ports I have used for remote management of the linksys. Obviously I disable remote management and port forward these when testing these.

I have a static address which a DNS is pointing to, but I also used the IP.

My settings for the linksys are as www.portforward.com but this web site does not cover for a combination of a linksys and a Zoom X3 which both have NAT's. As I said I believe the the Zoom NAT is disable because of the half bridge and the fact that I have also selected the disable option.

This is why I believe that the problem could be with the gateway IP but this is where my knowledge is poor.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pchambers,

According to Zoom X3's manual http://www.zoom.com/documentation/adsl/ADSL-X3_UM.pdf , there is a menu in its configuration interface called "Virtual Servers" (page 21). That's what you should configure to enable port forwarding from the modem to the LinkSys router.
pchambers
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linksys is the DHCP server I'm trying to bypass the zoom DHCP by using the half bridge. But this did not work, currently I progressing using the DMZ on the zoom to pass everything to the Linksys.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To switch off DHCP simply turn it off in the router. You shouldnt need to use a bridged connection. If you turn off DHCP you will need to assign a manual IP to all connected PC's. Dont forget the subnet, gateway and dns servers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: