How much power can I take off the COM-port?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: How much power can I take off the COM-port? Reply with quote

I've been playing around with PHP and my serial port recently, and I discovered that my computer will output 12V when the port is opened.

I'm not really sure how much power the serial port can supply. I was thinking of using a relay to power up other more power-consuming devices, still, I'm not sure if the serial port is strong enough to power the relay. Since I don't want to risk any of my computers motherboards, I need to be sure before trying anything.

And yes, I've seached on Google without any results.

Last edited by cmxflash on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting to know in terms of amps or watts? As far as I remember from when I used to play with COM ports, it's in the region of about 5-10 mA / 100mW at best. There are plenty of circuit diagrams floating around on how to boost this with external devices though - I'll dig through my old bookmarks and see if I can dig something up.

Edit - from my bookmarks,

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/rspower.html

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: