Override Internet Explorers Friendly Error 404 page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefog
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Override Internet Explorers Friendly Error 404 page Reply with quote

I added some text to my Abyss Custom 404 page and suddenly found that IE was showing my Error 404 page in place of its "Friendly" 404 Error page!

I did some experimenting and found that if the Custom 404 page file size was large enough IE would show my page in place of its Friendly 404 page. Looks like the file size needs to be in excess of 1kb for this to work.

Just add the text below to the end of your Abyss Custom 404 page and fill with text to increase its file size until IE shows your Custom 404 page.

<!--
IE will use its "Friendly" 404 Error page if your Abyss Custom Error 404 page file size is not large enough.

Fill below to increase file size as required.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
-->
</body>
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IE looks at the size of the 404 page to decide whether to display its own error. All you have to do is make sure that the size of your file is greater than 512 bytes. This does not include graphics, so make sure you add enough text to accomplish this. (If you just need filler text, add a bunch of nonsense text in comments in the source code.)

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: