I want to create an indie/casual gaming site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJWesley
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: I want to create an indie/casual gaming site Reply with quote

I've been gone a long, long time (it's complicated). Now I'm back.
I want to use the new version of Abyss to create an online gaming site. Is this possible? I'll be setting up games for visitors to play and to contribute. I also intend to use an affiliate, Big Fish Games, so visitors may also play and sample 'casual games' too.

Do you have any advice, suggestions, perhaps examples? Again, is this possible to construct on the Abyss server?

Thanks...
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Abyss is a server, your quesiton goes way past the topic Reply with quote

Abyss is sever software. It is not "a server."

The server is the hardware on which the server software is run to act as a server of web pages, and such, to the clients (the browser programs)

You are asking a question about creating a web site with all of the web pages, server side software, and JavaScript coding that such a goal entails and you want to know if you can do it with Abyss.

This is sort of like asking if you could drive from St. Louis to Seattle in a Chevy.

Yes, if you know how to drive, have a valid drivers license, have valid license plates on the vehicle, have money for gas, have a map which you can read and navigate, etc., you can drive to from St Louis to Seattle.

But you can also do it with a Ford, Chrysler, Mazda, KIA, and all the other brands of vehicles - heck, you could make the trip in on horseback or on a bicycle.

You may think my reply a bit flippant but it is a correct and valid answer.

It makes no difference what brand of vehicle you have, if you meet the other requirements, you can drive anywhere it is lawful, and accessible, to drive

Same thing for a server and sever software combination - if you have the files containing all the HTML, JavaScript, CSS, server side software, etc.which make up a web site, you can install and run that site on any server with any server software.

This is also akin to asking a nail and screw manufacture if you can build a house with their products. Yes you can, but the question of what screws to use is among the very last things you need to contend with to build a house.

I know this is not the sort of answer you wanted but it is THE answer to your question.

If you cannot create the web pages - HTML, CSS, etc - and are looking for somewhere to get the things needed to set up the type of site you need to be searching for the exact type of "package" you want to use on your site.

Search for software or web site packages for gambling sites.

If you intend to write the entire site - everything - you might want to reconsider that idea. Your question demonstrates a paucity of technical knowledge and experience of the sort you need to tackle such a project.

This is a matter of having to learn to walk before you can begin to learn how to run.

If you want to set up a gambling site without having to learn all the details of creating even a basic web site, you should be looking for a complete package of software and web pages to run such a site.

Abyss server software package. As with driving to Seattle, Abyss can run any web site but it has nothing to do with the task of creating a web site.

A site such as gambling site is not a project for a neophyte to tackle.

Bob
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Toasty
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL;DR, Yes you can.

It's a web server, you can make any kind of website on a web server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: