help for database

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patlacq
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: help for database Reply with quote

Hi, i just want help for adding a database to my website. I want to be able to edit my databse on the web. I know how to create my databse but what i need to know is wich software i need to put it on my website. I create my database with MS access 2003 and i use abyss x2 for my webserver.

I realy don't know much with databse and the web and it's only a simple database that i want to modify anywhere i can acess my website.

Thanks!!!!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: help for database Reply with quote

patlacq,

A database contains data only. You will need a script to use the data it contains: using the data can be extracting some parts of it and displaying them in tables or pages. You can also enter data or change it.
But a database alone cannot do more than offering data for manipulation by applications and scripts.
So what kind of data is in that database? What kind of display/interaction you'd like to allow your web site visitors to have with the data stored in it?
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: same vote Reply with quote

actualy, i'm in the same vote, (Just an IT Tech, not Pro) For me i have an Excel file that i input all of our patients names, age, and various other information on them. I am too loaded down with work to keep up with this "Log", and i would like a way to let RT's and CMA's log on to that file from there computer, preferably through our web site and let them add the info or edit as well. I haven't the slitest bit of knowlege of how a database works, i just gathred enough info to know that i need MySQL and PHP and MyPHPAdmin, have all but the PHP, and i think i know where to get that, but it says DL the sorce code, and that's the block i have is i don't know code. I picked up just enough on HTML to slide by and do things to a web site to inhance the eyecandy. I know one day soon i will probably get my CEO to send me to some classes on creating and maintaining databases, but till then, any help would be apriciated, i would realy like a way to get that up and running as soon as posible.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: same vote Reply with quote

ChrisM2,

If you install PHP, MySQL, and PhpMyAdmin, you wil be able to create, edit, and search databases easily. That's a good way to understand how a database works (but you won't understand everything with it, only the basics).

If you want to create a script to manipulate a database (add/edit/remove records with custom forms), you can code it by hand but it requires PHP/SQL knowledge (and time of course).

But fortunately there are tools to automate such scripts generations: PhpMyEdit is a free tool (http://www.phpmyedit.org/) which requires some tweaking and time to understand. AppGini http://www.bigprof.com/appgini/ is a commercial application which is very easy to use (and requires almost now PHP/SQL knowledge). There are several other tools belonging to category: http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=php+mysql+generator .
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: johny on the spot Reply with quote

well, once again, thank you. I will check this out today. My brother, and father were always the ones to understand codeing and writeing programs, and i just absolutly hated the idea of trying to learn some darn language. But, looks like i might have to give in and bust my brain for a while. When it comes to the computer world, i am the jack of all trades, and definently the master of none. I am self taught, by hands on, it's the only way i know how to learn. Reading and studing books/words just throw me for a loop, but, you throw anything my hands can get on, and it will be learned with ease. Maybe these tools will be a stress releaver till i actualy go and get some training.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

ok, i managed to set it up, thanks to the abyssUndergrounds tutorials. The PHP/MySQL5.0/PHPMyAdmin I have a link on the administrors (At the bottom) page for a log in Now, it's on to figure out how to import an excel file to a database for MySQL, it just seems to get better, Abyss has been one nice place to be for me and my job, Keep makeing my boss proud peeps...:)
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

ChrisM2,

You're welcome.

To put your Excel data in the MySQL database:
* In Excel select "File" > "Save As" and select "CSV (Comma delimited)" from the file type list and save the file as data.csv
* Browse your PhpMyAdmin
* Create a table in your database and declare the fileds it should have (they must reproduce the same order and purpose as the columns in the Excel file).
* Reselect the table from the left frame (and ensure that you are displaying the table structure).
* Scroll down the right frame and click on "Insert data from a textfile into table". Set "Fields terminated by" to comma and not a semi colon.
* In the displayed page, browse to your just exported data.csv, check "Replace" and click on "Submit".
ChrisM2
-

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: lost me Reply with quote

i kind of got lost on the "Insert data from a textfile into table". i saw an insert button, but it keeps saying theres no info, or something when i try to insert the file, and it wont import the file to the database even though i cut and pasted it in that folder, it doesn't show. i'll keep messing with it. i'm sure i'll figure it out.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: lost me Reply with quote

ChrisM2 wrote:
i kind of got lost on the "Insert data from a textfile into table". i saw an insert button, but it keeps saying theres no info, or something when i try to insert the file, and it wont import the file to the database even though i cut and pasted it in that folder, it doesn't show. i'll keep messing with it. i'm sure i'll figure it out.

"Insert data from a textfile into table" is a link in the bottom of the structure page. It's not a button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: