Anyone good at php scripts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone good at php scripts? Reply with quote

I bought a mod of Phbb-mods.net. A guestbook for 45.00 USD. The problem is the author doesnt seem to want to back his work. He blames Anbyss and Windows OS for it....

The problem is the icq symbol doesnt show when logged in, but shows when logged out. Also any links under the entry when you click them immediately add a %20 to them and obviously the links wont work. Applies to all except the mail to function. Any ideas as I know Abyss aint causing the %20 error in the links. Guestbook can be viewed at www.disluvs4you.com/forum/xtreme_guestbook.php

If any ideas Im open or if you feel confident in repairing let me know a price! I hate to lose 45 dollars out the window
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should avoid paying for scripts before youve tested them first, or, make your own script. Only ever buy from reputable companies.

Im sure someone can help you fix the script.
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the odd thing. He has a demo installed on his site. He also provided links to sites using it and they work fine their. Guess this is where he gets the idea windows is causing it or abyss. Cause all those servers are linux. I could have swore he was reputable. He all his stuff as a demo and seems to know his sh@t, but I dont get why hes being a ass about fixing it. See herre this is his site

http://phpbb-mods.net/

The funny thing I noticed is I had a pic on my server named vomit pic.jpg. Notice the space between vomit and pumpkin? Well when loaded up off of my site that space became 20%. So maybe there is a bug with Abyss and Aprelium can comment....
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. Try any other script and it will work. Its more than likely down to the script doing it. You shouldnt have to pay for any mod anyway. You could easily make a guestbook or download a free one.
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true. I just liked how it had flood control that logged your ip so you can only make on post to it. And it was intergrated with the forum board user table. Hey even know on his page the mods are sold as is,,,,i should turn him into Paypal?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy214 wrote:
Yeah true. I just liked how it had flood control that logged your ip so you can only make on post to it. And it was intergrated with the forum board user table. Hey even know on his page the mods are sold as is,,,,i should turn him into Paypal?

If it doesnt work and your that sure you were ripped off then I say go ahead, but try negociating with him first. If he doesnt want to then he obviously just wanted your money, then definately report him.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The %20 is a URL Encoded :space: character.

Here's an explanation to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_Encoding

I think the guy that sold you that mod deliberately made it buggy in order to
rip you off, that's just my opinion. I will try and help you sort this problem out
if that's ok. My Windows/MSN Messenger: msn@trustabyss.com

Sincerely, TRUSTpunk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought a car without learning to drive, would you think the car lot had ripped you off when you couldn't work out how to start it?

If you buy a PHP script without the knowledge to get it installed properly (to the point of not even knowing HTML basics like a URL encoding space %20) I think it's fair to say the script will work perfectly, or if it doesn't, you didn't bother reading up on the requirements before you purchased it. If you start bitching to Paypal then quite frankly you're just being an ass...

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so it is a url encoding space. Okay I learned something new. Then why is the url encoding space present in all my links, but not on the authors site? I dont get it....someone enlighten me? This still dont explain why the icq image dont come up when logged in, but shows up when logged out?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy214 wrote:
Ok so it is a url encoding space. Okay I learned something new. Then why is the url encoding space present in all my links, but not on the authors site? I dont get it....someone enlighten me?

I can't see any spaces in the links on the authors site. Hence no %20's. If you stop using spaces, you won't have any either, problem solved...

ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing I aint using any spaces. I followed the directions to a tee he gave me and I cant find them. Its probaly somewhere weird you wouldnt think of. Can I zip it up and email it to you to take a peek? I didnt do nothing to this except where I was told to
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip it up on your site somewhere and PM me a link, plus the installation instructions you were given and links to any pages on your own site you consider there to be a problem with - e.g. pages where you think this %20 should not appear...

aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone good at php scripts? Reply with quote

ozzy214,

URLs sent to the web server should always be encoded using the % system (URL encoding). HTTP does not allow using spaces inside the URLs.

When an URL inside a HTML page contains a space, it is up to the browser to fix it (URL encode it) or report an error. The browser should always send an URL encoded path to the server otherwise the server will fail to interpret the request (and will report error 400).

In any case, using a space in a URL is wrong and against all the recommendation of HTML and HTTP standards. This guy could blame Abyss Web Server and Windows but he'd better read the specs before writing scripts (and by the way Abyss Web Server is far more spread and tested than his scripts, so statistically his product is more likely to be buggy than ours or Windows).
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone good at php scripts? Reply with quote

ozzy214,

If you'd like some help with this script, you can send it to us and we'll review it and see how to fix it.
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here you go. Install instructions are included. One thing is the author forgot to mention in the directions that you need to enter your database info in the flood script file or the ip logger wont work. It was ment for a integrated install with phpbb, but im sure this will work syand alone. I think. its integrated with user database

//URL REMOVED BY ADMIN//

yes i know i shouldnt be posting in the open, but i dont care. i am about ready to eat the cost and delete it. here is a picture with the links im talking bout that dont work

You need to be logged in for the links to work. But there is no email activation on my site. So you can make a account or I can send you a test account...whichever you pefer. My site is www.disluvs4you.com

BTW this is a free chat and support site for disabled people tha runs out of my pocket and spare time. So i really appreciate the help.

BTW...when you click on of those links I circled you will see all of them except mail comes with %20 in them. And I checked mysql and that %20 is not in any of the stored info. So the script has got to be doing it.

Also two other things aint working. The icq picture shows when not logged in, but when logged in it disappears. And the login page for the guestbook dont work. So how is people supposed to know they need to login to post a entry LOL! Oh and Aprelium even know i dont need virtual hosting, you can bet that im going to buy the pro edition of your script now. I feel your worth supporting unlike this guy whom ripped me off. Expect my payment soon. {smile}
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get

Quote:

Please fill in all fields marked with *

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1049 Unknown database 'forum'

whenever I attempt to test the guestbook on your site...

The example posts you've made already are pointless - the spaces are appearing in the links because you have not included any of the information required to generate the link properly - icq numbers, aim etc. This is also the reason the ICQ link vanishes - it links to ICQ.com and a specific ICQ number. If you don't give it any info, it's a 404. Fill in a couple of test posts with full info (not necessarily real) and look at your links again.

ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The errors are fixd. I do apologize. Here is a latest entry and the same damn thing. I put every one except icq cause it wouldnt let me register. And none of it works and it all adds %20. Sorry bout that anymoose. I was playing round and forgot to fix it. :oops:

aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy214,

Edit xtreme_guestbook.php, locate the line:

Code:
$insert_val_sql .= ($insert_val_sql != '') ? ", ' " . addslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS[$val]) . "'" : " '" . addslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS[$val]) . "'";

and replace it with:

Code:
$insert_val_sql .= ($insert_val_sql != '') ? ", '" . addslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS[$val]) . "'" : " '" . addslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS[$val]) . "'";

Note that we've only changed ", ' " with ", '" (removed the second space). This space character was inserted before any data in the databse and resulted in the %20 display when data was retrieved later for the listing.

Try signing a new guestbook entry and you will notice that the problem has disappeared for the new entry.

If you want to fix the old entries, open your MySQL database using PhpMyAdmin and manually remove all leading space characters in the columns of phpbb_xtreme_guestbook.
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP! Dang man. It works...it works. Dang Aprelium. I cant believe that one space would cause it. Man as soon as I get some money flowing I buying that nice pro edition you have there. You guys RULE!. And too think the author put me through hell saying it was my fault and abyss fault, when it was a damn space! LOL! Thanks guys...you saved me from going bald....
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn and your right. I never noticed there was a space in the mysql database until i tried hitting the backspace at the beggining of each entry. I feel like a idiot i didnt notice it, but I not much good at php. Only html and javascript. Although Im learning
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh here is his latest response to me when I emailed him with the fix. He still seems to think windows is the problemn

Good for you. I keep telling you theres nothing wrong with the script. Its only you that has the problem with it. All 4 users of the script use linux webservers and the script is perfect. No one else has the problem, nor does any of my users have rude or bad comments like you. I would have helped you more, but your attitude stinks, and sending a complaint to paypal was just the tip of the iceburg. Again, you are the only person that has bad comments against me, so Im not loosing any sleep over you. I have 23 members paying $10 a month for my support, and 12 xtreme members. I have never claimed that I am a world class programmer, I dont know where you got that idea from. As for even a partial refund, you must be on another planet. I saw the topic you made here:

http://www.aprelium.com./forum/viewtopic.php?p=52713

You gave out the script to other people, and you are still using the guestbook. Anyways, stick to using abyss. Only retarded people use windows. Professionals use linux. I rest my case.

PS: Dont bother replying, your email address is now in my spam list and will be auto deleted.

See how he still blames windows for the problem and me..when it was his script? Do yourself a favor and dont go over to phpbb-mods.net to buy scripts or mods for your foum. He doesnt know his arse from a hole in the ground........
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice speech, well made :-) People like him deserve to lose customers. You should complain to paypal, you were sold something that doesnt work. It doesnt seem fair. Im sure there is something on trading standards about it... Dont know if it applies in this situation though.

You'll learn from your mistakes.

Oh, and its great your making his work open to everyone. Maybe itll stop him from getting peoples money by selling stuff that doesnt work :-)
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry that you had to go through that, ozzy214.
brucelee
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am friend of oc5id and a member phpbb-mods.net and also i'm php programmer. the script(s) that ozzy214 bought was for made for linux/unix systems and works on them fine. it wasn't tested on windows. so hows oc5id supposed to know that it dont work and if it dont thats not our fault. we do fix all errors that come up and try to work with users to resolve them. oc5id tryed to. but ozzy214 was very offensive against oc5id. so thats why he didn't help him any more and we not give refunds on mods/etc as stated in http://www.phpbb-mods.net/ftopic196.html under 10a. phpBB Custom Mods.
otherwise all users would ask for one and then they would get them for free. could somebody please remove the guestbook.zip link from this topic/forum. this isn't a free mod.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who has viewed this thread has probably downloaded it by now (myself included) so its already out for free. I bet it will soon be posted on other websites for free too. No offence but its your own fault.

If it was not described in the mod description that it only works with linux/unix then it is not his fault and it is false advertising and I think he is entitled to a full refund no matter what the rules are. If he contacts PayPal (if he hasnt already) they take matters seriously on these lines so I would expect to hear from them.

Im not taking sides, Im stating the facts. The link will be removed only if an Admin decides to remove it.
brucelee
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy214 already contacted paypal. but paypal dropped the complaint. cause there wasn't much of a case to answer to.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucelee wrote:
ozzy214 already contacted paypal. but paypal dropped the complaint. cause there wasn't much of a case to answer to.

Fair enough. They probably had other more important and higher cost complaints to deal with. It still doesnt change the fact he wasnt informed.
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thnaks for all who stuck up for me. You want to know how shady OC5id is? He literally changed the policy on his cart after I bought mod and asked him for a refund. He had that goddamn link so far hidden bout the policies on sale I never saw it till I asked. Now it magically apears on the cart. On top of it it was stated it was tested on linux/unix systems, but not on windows. But I was assured that I would e given support and I dont see how this pace apprelium found would affect windows, but not linux. Besides isnt nix a windows system..the earlier ones? Correct me if I wrong.

Oh and this guy is such a greadt programmer look at what I found

open xtreme_guestbook_add.tpl

find

<tr>
<td class="row1" nowrap="nowrap">{L_GB_COMMENTS}</td>
<td class="row2"><textarea
<input type="text" maxlength="500" size="40" name="gb_comments" value=" name="gb_comments" rows="5" cols="45">{S_GB_COMMENTS}</textarea>
</td>

NOTICE THE GODDAMN TEXTAREA IN THE FORM IS LEFT OPEN. I FOUND THIS ON MY OWN CAUSE I KNOW A LITTLE HTML AND THE COMMENTS WOULD NOTSHOW UP UNDER FIREFOX ONLY IE. THIS IS HOW I FIXED IT

Replace with
<td class="row1" nowrap="nowrap">{L_GB_COMMENTS}</td>
<td class="row2"><textarea maxlength="500" size="40" name="gb_comments" value=" name="gb_comments" rows="5" cols="45"> {S_GB_COMMENTS}</textarea>
</td>

That is how I fixed so it can be used with firefox. Im still looking at other issues as well. The flood protection logs the ip, but doesnt prevent making another entry. So this IS VERY BUGGY. On top of it Linux is nothing to do with it. In my opinion if it works under linux it should work under windows. I hate windows with a passion myself. but yet its used the world around and on 90% of the computers. So you would think its the most stablest and thats why everyone uses it. I wonder if Aprellium uses windows for their abyss serer for this site? Cause he said only retards use windows for a web server. LOL!

But one last thing. I appreciate you guys standing up for me. I run a small out of my pocket disability spport and chat site. Im currently unemployed and getting ready to go to school. My site is surviving on a few little donations by people that cant afford to really spare it anyway. On top of it I dont have either. But Im completely NON PROFIT and this guy comes round and rips me off 45.00 dollars. Wouldnt you consider him a thief ripping off a disability non profit site? Thats like a big no no ripping me and disabld people off. MY own GF has muscular dystropy and was the reason and inspiration for starting my site. It really breaks my heart he would rip disabled people off that cant even afford goddamn bologna and bread. !!!!

Okay rant over. Im upset now thinking bout and going off to have a beer. But THANKS to all who stuck up for me and helped me with this. You guys are truly honest and dependable. ANd Aprellium has my money next month for Pro. And you other guys need something HOLLER!

Last edited by ozzy214 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
roganty
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been following this thread (and have downloaded the script), and i believe i am an impartial observer.

none of us on this forum know what ozzy214 said in his email to oc5id (the developer of the guestbook) asking why the script wasn't working. so we don't know why oc5id didn't offer to help fix the bug.

but one thing that still puzzles me is why the extra space at the start of the string didn't effect linux users, but it did when trying to run it on windows

mabe its a feature, not a bug... but writing scripts to only run on specific oses, or webservers is really limiting the market appeal of the script, especially if you are (or tring to) sell(ing) it.

*Edit* did it really take me that long to write this post

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nice as pie till the end when he started blaming Abyss and WQindows for the issue. The I flew off the handle. I can cc the recent email I sent him. I cant get in to My pms cause he banned and his site is down...LOL!

But I was nice and worked with and worked with him. ANother thing I didt like was when he first emailed me the script. He kept forgotting files and parts of the code and sql. It wasnt even ready to ship. Oh I forgot this file and oh I forgot the sql to the flood. Yada yada. I am usualy very polite, but when this guy started giving me the run around and finally left it at..OH I can help you...its your webserver...how would you react?

Oh and I aslo asked him for help with loewing paypal mod, because Payapl wasnt updating the database with the new donatees. I zipped my forum and sent it to him. He blantatly said I was missing code in three files. The funny thing Is I went in to phpmyadmin and I noticed there was a message stating a double value. So I redid the sql and its fine now. ANd he though I totally screwed it up..LOL! Tells you how good his skills are....

Last edited by ozzy214 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
olly86
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucelee wrote:
i am friend of oc5id and a member phpbb-mods.net and also i'm php programmer.

It's a bit ironic don't you think that you can't even get your own site working properly? or is it because I'm using Windows :D.
Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: replace_for_mod_rewrite() in /home/oc5id/public_html/includes/page_tail.php on line 73

and then sell scripts that don't work properly.

I write code in PHP, Java, and C. Usually if its written following industry standards PHP, and Java (no need to recompile) code is transferable between Windows, and Linux/UNIX without any problems.

Now, I don't know how the script is advertised, but if it states that it works under Windows that is false advertising. Nor did you fix the bug, which is appalling Customer Service. Remember the customer is always right.
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucelee wrote:
i am friend of oc5id and a member phpbb-mods.net and also i'm php programmer. the script(s) that ozzy214 bought was for made for linux/unix systems and works on them fine. it wasn't tested on windows.

People here are computer literate and won't believe the "blame Windows" kind of arguments: the problem was with the HTML code generated by the script and HTML as far as we know does not work fine on some operating systems and fails on others. HTML is meant to be rendered on the client side and it is unbelievable to request from ozzy214's visitors to browse his site only when they're using an operating system for the non-retarded (i.e. Linux).

Your "friend" is also blaming our server when the problem is with his script and its lack of real-world testing: tell him to install Opera on his lovely Linux box and he'll notice the problem, tell him to to the same with Konqueror and he'll see also the bug.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy214 wrote:
Okay rant over. Im upset now thinking bout and going off to have a beer. But THANKS to all who stuck up for me and helped me with this. You guys are truly honest and dependable. ANd Aprellium has my money next month for Pro. And you other guys need something HOLLER!

Thank you ozzy214. We'd be glad to have you as a customer of X2 if you need the feature of the professional edition.
ozzy214
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I dont need x2. But i do feel that its a great way to support all your hard work on this project and also for helping me. My way of saying thanks. Btw you didnt mention if your runnign windows or linux for your server here on the boards!!
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums server is Linux.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozzy214 wrote:
Nope I dont need x2. But i do feel that its a great way to support all your hard work on this project and also for helping me. My way of saying thanks. Btw you didnt mention if your runnign windows or linux for your server here on the boards!!

You're welcome. We too thank you for your support and your loyality to Abyss Web Server. ;-)

aprelium.com is powered by Linux and Abyss Web Server X2 for Linux: http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.aprelium.com .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: