Advanced web server statistics with AWStats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Advanced web server statistics with AWStats Reply with quote

Last year I was involved in a project to help out a web administrator analyzing his Apache log files. We ended up using AWStats, a great web server log analyzer, that shows all kind of information from the web server log. AWStats is a perl script and can be run in CGI mode and from command line. Some months after this project, I tested AWStats on the log files generated by Abyss. This worked out great after some minor adjustment to the Abyss configuration... and here is how I did it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, and please make this sticky. :)
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
Thank you, and please make this sticky. :)

The Sticky feature is not meant to be used like this... in fact, all the posts so far on this Tutorials forum should not even have the sticky feature set at all. The sticky feature is for setting the rules in a specific forum, maybe some F.A.Q edited by the moderator and things like that.

If we all started using the Sticky feature, the forum will become much harder to follow on the topics... because the Sticky messages always comes first in the forum.

Aprelium should infact remove this feature from the general user on this forum, and only enable it for the moderators.

Other than that, hope you liked my simple tutorial on AWStats... 8)
vbgunz
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Linker... I will set all of my guides to normal status. I just hope no one comes and pollutes this forum with junk or questions... I do believe the day Administrators or Moderators do have something important to say regarding the tutorials forum it should float to the top and stay there if it is important...

I learn something every where I go and everywhere I go I learn something... :) Thanks for pointing that out 8)
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pollutes??? :roll:

The only reason why I mentioned the "sticky" feature, is because I visit lots of forums where they keep important information, and stuff everybody might need to read (like tutorials, and FAQ's) at the top of the forum, and everything else comes after.

Obviously, if it's at the top of the forum it's easier to find, because you don't have to go looking thru all the posts to find it. Especially in forums with a lot of activity. It also helps cut down the tendency for newbies to ask the same questions over and over again, because the answers are right there. It makes sense to me, but if you guys are Moderators now, and you want to do things differently, that's fine with me.

All I ask is that when you give directives, you make them a little less condescending, and a little more professional and courteous, and I'm sure people wont mind complying. Although I appreciate the extra help you guys are around here, there's something about the tone of your posts that ticks me off.

I apologize for the off-topic post, everyone. I just needed to communicate my feeling about this to you. Thank you.
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I in no way said what I said to quitely out the side of my neck offend anyone. I completely agree with The Linker because this is a tutorials forum... Hopefully people when navigating here they'll understand its to either to post a guide or to learn something...

I made my statement about junk in regards to spam like activities that do no one any good and is just flat out mal practice... I didn't mean questions, comments, compliments, complaints or statements, in regards to a guide itself but as a stand alone post.

I apologize if my statement to The Linker ticked anybody off. I saw his point as clear as day... If this forum holds nothing but tutorials why make them sticky? Shouldn't new tutorials float to the top when published and perhaps rules set by the admins or mods stay at the top? I just thought it makes a lot of sense.

My statement was nothing more than a statement of an agreement with a comment attached. I apologize if anyone thinks I said something to be stupid or because of anything that just isnt true. People have the right to ask a question or make statements on a guide, just no one should ask a general stand alone question even if it has something to do with a guide.

I am sorry if I my post was taken wrong. I'll try to watch how I word my post next time 8)
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLashley wrote:
The only reason why I mentioned the "sticky" feature, is because I visit lots of forums where they keep important information, and stuff everybody might need to read (like tutorials, and FAQ's) at the top of the forum, and everything else comes after.

Obviously, if it's at the top of the forum it's easier to find, because you don't have to go looking thru all the posts to find it. Especially in forums with a lot of activity. It also helps cut down the tendency for newbies to ask the same questions over and over again, because the answers are right there. It makes sense to me, but if you guys are Moderators now, and you want to do things differently, that's fine with me.

Hi DLashley... I am not a Moderator on these forums and I hope most of my postings do reflect that. :)

Now, for my general point of view on the "sticky" feature... I have seen many good forums virtually destroyed because of some users exploiting the forums features, among them the sticky feature. I've seen the same thing happening on newsgroups, where users set the posting timestamp into the future knowing that their post gets on the top of the lists when sorted on timestamps. Or even puts some special characters in the beginning of the subject field, also knowing that their post gets on the top of the list when sorted on subjects. It's my hope that we don't see these things happend to this forum...

As for this Tutorials section of the forum, I don't think any tutorials written here are more important than other postings. Let's say I have some general questions regarding tutorials written in this section, my posting would not even show because of all the sticky tutorials. IMHO the users of the forum should always try to find answers to their questions by using the forums search features, also in this section of the forum.

DLashley wrote:

All I ask is that when you give directives, you make them a little less condescending, and a little more professional and courteous, and I'm sure people wont mind complying. Although I appreciate the extra help you guys are around here, there's something about the tone of your posts that ticks me off.

It was never my intention to be condescending, if you felt so after reading my reply. I know my english written postings sometimes can be misunderstood or interpreted the wrong way... :oops: especially on topics I feel strongly about... I will try to do better in the future. :)

Best of regards...
TheLinker
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, then I apologize too. Like I said in previous messages, you've guys have been a lot of help around here, and I do appreciate it. I didn't mean to cause any conflict here by suggesting making a post sticky.

It does make sense that if this forum is for tutorials only, posts don't really need to be sticky.

Thanks for replying to my post in a respectful manner. I really appreciate it. I DO understand how feeling really passionate about something can make you want to have things as perfect as possible. I also understand the frustration a person feels when they do something and someone else comes along and messes with it. I'm the same way, so I've had to learn to count to ten, take a deep breath, be tolerant, and re-word my original post so it doesn't sound so bitchy. It's not always easy. :lol:

I really love Abyss Web Server, and I hope that all of us here at the forum can help make this place as great as it deserves to be.
-

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just letting you know that a new version was just released. Don't know if you will need to change anything or not. Reguardless this is an exce;;ent tutorial. :)

My Abyss site!

http://crashhappy.gatewayy.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fluxfm
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced web server statistics with AWStats Reply with quote

Yes this option works! But it only shows the details a people who are viewing the log file... And not the details of the people who are acessing the website? Any tips?

Regards,

Michel

http://80.126.110.68/awstats/awstats.pl?config=fluxfm&update=1

Is the place where it is.. It can be slow due to a lot of traffic

TheLinker wrote:
Last year I was involved in a project to help out a web administrator analyzing his Apache log files. We ended up using AWStats, a great web server log analyzer, that shows all kind of information from the web server log. AWStats is a perl script and can be run in CGI mode and from command line. Some months after this project, I tested AWStats on the log files generated by Abyss. This worked out great after some minor adjustment to the Abyss configuration... and here is how I did it.
sed
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Bump^ Reply with quote

Sorry, had to do it...
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced web server statistics with AWStats Reply with quote

fluxfm wrote:
Yes this option works! But it only shows the details a people who are viewing the log file... And not the details of the people who are acessing the website? Any tips?

Regards,

Michel

http://80.126.110.68/awstats/awstats.pl?config=fluxfm&update=1

Is the place where it is.. It can be slow due to a lot of traffic

TheLinker wrote:

Dude! When I clicked on this link just now, it brought up the entire Perl script!!! You need to REMOVE this until you figure out how to use it properly or you might get hacked!!! 8O
-

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna say thanks for the tut :)!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
mg66
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Great Instructions Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that your instructions worked like a dream for me. I am running Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.0.0.8 Beta 1) and the latest Advanced Web Statistics 6.1 (build 1.751).

Great job on a very easy to follow tutorial.

Thanx

http://sv650.metromain.net
http://photography.metromain.net
http://weather.metromain.net
http://www.metromain.net
http://www.bghi.us

Abyss Web Server X2
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

not working with 2.3 beta2 server. Get many errors:
Warning: Can't read file "status_http.pm" (status http detection will not work correctly).
Check if file is in "./lib" directory and is readable.
Warning: Can't read file "search_engines.pm" (search engines detection will not work correctly).
Warning: Can't read file "domains.pm" (domains detection will not work correctly).
Warning: Can't read file "operating_systems.pm" (operating systems detection will not work correctly).
Warning: Can't read file "robots.pm" (robots detection will not work correctly).
Warning: Can't read file "browsers.pm" (browsers detection will not work correctly).
Warning: Can't read file "mime.pm" (mime detection will not work correctly).
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure Perl is properly installed.

I just tested AWStats on Abyss Web Server v2.3 and it works fine. :-)
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perl is properly installed.
I are a large network administrator, not lamer :)
With older wersion of Abyss X1 2.3beta1, awstats working fine, with 2.3beta2 not...
What's wrong? :)
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue man, did you enable any AWStats plugins?
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, not using.
I see that problem are with newest beta with fastcgi.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devastator82 wrote:
no, not using.
I see that problem are with newest beta with fastcgi.

AWStat does not support FastCGI (as most of Perl scripts). So you're only going to have errors if you declare the Perl interpreter in Abyss Web Server as FastCGI.

Perl scripts are CGI only (unless the script you use is explicitly claiming it supports FastCGI).
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i configured perl interpreter as CGI/ISAPI

Here litle screenshot:
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devastator82 wrote:
no, i configured perl interpreter as CGI/ISAPI

Here litle screenshot:

OK. So can you please let us know what is the problem you are experiencing with the AWstat on 2.3 Beta 2. Are there error messages? Have you checked log/cgi.log for Perl error messages?
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgi.log is empty. isapi.log and fastcfi.log too.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devastator82 wrote:
cgi.log is empty. isapi.log and fastcfi.log too.

The errors posted above, are they errors from Windows or are they errors
from a web page? Giving us this information will help us find the problem.

If possible, can you post a download to your awstats config file?

Last edited by TRUSTAbyss on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where, via your e-mail ?

P.S. my servers config is normal :)
with 2.3 beta1 server vorking perfectly, with 2.3 beta2 server, get some problems with perl scripts execution.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devastator82 wrote:
where, via your e-mail ?

P.S. my servers config is normal :)
with 2.3 beta1 server vorking perfectly, with 2.3 beta2 server, get some problems with perl scripts execution.

We've checked the errors you've listed above and they look like complaints from your script about missing files or files with wrong permissions. It's Perl which executes the CGI scripts, not Abyss. So please review your script configuration and eventually your Perl setup.
If you are able to browse a Perl script hosted by Abyss, this usually means that Perl is correctly declared in Abyss Web Server and that any Perl script will work (at least Abyss will be able to run Perl, to ask it to execute the script, and to get the result from it.) Other possible errors fall in the scope of your script and the interpreter (Perl).
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, now i changed the web server...
Apache working without this problem, awstats too...
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend starting from the beginning with a fresh configuration. Follow the installation steps again incase you missed anything out.
devastator82
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i installed fresh abyss web server v2.3 beta2 and awstats fresh instalation and get same problems. Awstats configured by this tutorial.
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue why it's not working, can you add me to your Windows/MSN
Messenger so that I may assist you with the AWStats problem?

My MSN: msn@trustabyss.com
nitestalker49
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Problems w/installation and first run Reply with quote

while following the intructions i ended up at this point:

Quote:
Open your web browser and enter: http://mysite.no-ip.com/awstats/awstats.pl?config=mysite.no-ip.com. You must of course enter your site name, and the name of your conf file. In the page being generated, you should see a link called Update now. Click this link to update the statistical data.

This is what loaded up on the screen:

Quote:
Error: Couldn't open config file "awstats.awstats.nitestalkersolutions.conf.conf" nor "awstats.conf" after searching in path ".,/etc/awstats,/usr/local/etc/awstats,/etc,/etc/opt/awstats": No such file or directory

- Did you use the correct URL ?
Example: http://localhost/awstats/awstats.pl?config=mysite
Example: http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?config=mysite
- Did you create your config file 'awstats.awstats.nitestalkersolutions.conf.conf' ?
If not, you can run "./../../tools/awstats_configure.pl" from command line, or create it manually.

Check config file, permissions and AWStats documentation (in 'docs' directory).

i have tried dozens of things to get this to work but it seems that it is all correct.

my url is correct i am sure of it.
my config file is correct to the best of my knowledge.

any help would be appreciated. i am usually not around during the daytime hours Eastern time zone. Best way to get me is with yahoo messenger.

[/quote]

http://home.woh.rr.com/nitestalker/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: