RE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etorvinen
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

it would be really nice to see abyss to add ssl capiablities... i mean that on my site i have a script to detect a ip of a remote machine and display it for the user. but if i run tunnellssl program the ip would be that loopback address, so it would make my script useless... So right now i am in a loop abyss with out security or IIS with security. I think i am going to stay with abyss... I like the features it has.
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly it is planned for a future release. In the mean time you can use the work around, STunnel. Search the forums for more info.
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STunnel uses the loopbac-address as well.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
etorvinen
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a couple of bugs when i installed it, one is that when any one views a computerinfomation script or if i set up a logging scripts to detect howmany hit do i get, the ip it gets is a loopback address 127.0.0.1, it it does not do any help for my site.

I will continue using X1 untill X2 with SSL is released, i tend to like abyss because the ease of administration, size of the server, and directory listing and http error customations.

If any one is useing windows xp home or professional with SP2, you might want to read this article.
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used STunnel, but can it not be made to send a special header with the original address? x_forwarded_for would work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a https proxy, it's a general purpose encryption tool - no HTTP headers etc involved at all, so no X_FORWARDED_FOR.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
It's not a https proxy, it's a general purpose encryption tool - no HTTP headers etc involved at all, so no X_FORWARDED_FOR.

I assumed it sent a http request and encrypted the output before forwarding.
As I said, I've not used it or anything similar. (Aside from mod_ssl.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't intended to sound like a snappy reply - I was just pointing out what it does/doesn't do as you hadn't used it...

Basically it'll provide SSL support to anything which doesn't natively have it, but the application without SSL is totally unaware of the change (e.g. adding SSL support to IRC clients, email clients etc) - it's worth remembering if you do find you end up with a new favourite client that is only lacking in SSL support.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
Wasn't intended to sound like a snappy reply - I was just pointing out what it does/doesn't do as you hadn't used it...

Basically it'll provide SSL support to anything which doesn't natively have it, but the application without SSL is totally unaware of the change (e.g. adding SSL support to IRC clients, email clients etc) - it's worth remembering if you do find you end up with a new favourite client that is only lacking in SSL support.

Oh, I use putty for things like that, but I get what it is.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: