Directory access with Abyss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekn
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Directory access with Abyss Reply with quote

I will post this in here since this is the closest thing I can relate this issue to.

I don't know if this is a Windows issue or if it has something to do with the new version of Abyss, so mabye you can help me out here.

I have a folder on windows XP that is "private", that is it is not shared, either on the network, or with other users of the computer. You can only access it while logged on under my profile. Well, there is a CGI program that I run that accesses a folder which is in that directory. Before, in the past the CGI program could only access it while the XP computer was logged on under my profile. It would just simply give a "200" code, which was fine, that's what it should do. NOW, however, the CGI program (and Abyss directory indexing service) access the file, and list out the contents. It still is inaccessible within a windows browser. But for some reason, it is accessible now with Abyss.

Does Abyss now access files in a different way? Or is this a windows-based issue?

Thanks,
Derek
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you running Abyss as a standalone application before and are now running it as a system service? If so, check what user the server is running as - if it is LocalSystem, this is the account with even more security privileges than Administrator - any processes launched will also be launched with LocalSystem privileges and may have a higher level of system access than previously, where running the server under your own account would lead to child processes being launched with your own privileges.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
derekn
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
Were you running Abyss as a standalone application before and are now running it as a system service? If so, check what user the server is running as - if it is LocalSystem, this is the account with even more security privileges than Administrator - any processes launched will also be launched with LocalSystem privileges and may have a higher level of system access than previously, where running the server under your own account would lead to child processes being launched with your own privileges.

Thank you for your reply. That sounds like what may be going on. Please forgive me, I don't really know how to check to see if abyss is running as LocalSystem?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have explained that in my original post.

If you're on XP, whilst logged on normally, press control+alt+esc to bring up the Windows Task Manager - look for Abyssws.exe in the Image Name column and see what appears in the User Name column next to it.

On Windows 2000, I can't remember if the process is the same - if it isn't, you can also go to Administrative Tools -> Services and find the Abyss Web Server service. Double click on it and check the Log On tab. By default it will be "Local System Account".

If this causes problems, you can change the credentials manually in this panel to log on with your own username and password - I'd assume this will make it behave more as it did before you updated and installed it as a service.

derekn
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
Sorry, I should have explained that in my original post.

If you're on XP, whilst logged on normally, press control+alt+esc to bring up the Windows Task Manager - look for Abyssws.exe in the Image Name column and see what appears in the User Name column next to it.

On Windows 2000, I can't remember if the process is the same - if it isn't, you can also go to Administrative Tools -> Services and find the Abyss Web Server service. Double click on it and check the Log On tab. By default it will be "Local System Account".

If this causes problems, you can change the credentials manually in this panel to log on with your own username and password - I'd assume this will make it behave more as it did before you updated and installed it as a service.

Yes, it is running under "System" I assume this is what you are referring to. I will try to change it so that abyss runs under user log on, and see what happens. Thanks very much!

Derek
derekn
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I changed the startup to "Automatic on User Logon" and it works just how I want it to now! Thanks SO much for your help! I didn't realize that running an application under services would supercede all permission restrictions.

Regards,
Derek
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't techically automatically supercede all permissions, it's just that Local System is one of the most privileged accounts.

Assuming you're running NTFS, pick a random directory on your HD and check the security permissions (right click->properties->security) - you will see System almost always has full control of files/directories, along with the original creator, and administrator(s).

Glad you got things back to how you wanted them :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: