WinXP Pro Connection Limits?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmealLA
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: WinXP Pro Connection Limits? Reply with quote

Is there any limit to the number of computers that can connect to a WinXP Pro box running Abyss? I thought I had heard that an XP Pro box would only allow 4 or 5 users to connect at the same time? I'm wanting to run a small office Intranet with Abyss 12-14 users...

Thanks for any information!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rumour but XP Home is said to have a limit of 5 connections, XP Pro is said to have 10. I have run a web server for just under a month now and not had problems.

Providing the server doesnt get 10+ hits at the same exact moment, I wouldnt worry about it.
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
There is a rumour but XP Home is said to have a limit of 5 connections, XP Pro is said to have 10. I have run a web server for just under a month now and not had problems.

Providing the server doesnt get 10+ hits at the same exact moment, I wouldnt worry about it.

I thought it was just for IIS :S
I had an IRC server on XP pro with 30 something clients and linked to 2 servers and I didnt get problems. Although they could have put a limit on for port 80 or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt have thought it would just be for port 80. Anyway, some one will have hacked it if this was the case. to allow unlimited.
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
I wouldnt have thought it would just be for port 80. Anyway, some one will have hacked it if this was the case. to allow unlimited.

Probably did at some point, this installation is old.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:

I thought it was just for IIS :S
I had an IRC server on XP pro with 30 something clients and linked to 2 servers and I didnt get problems. Although they could have put a limit on for port 80 or something.

Maybe that is what it was, IIS -- Thanks for the quick responses, I'm currently using a Mandrake box, and while it is working fine, it is a bear to find the time to make any changes to it; when you work in a Win. enviorment every day, it is just easier to not switch; Abyss works great, I used it this past weekend on a laptop to run some PHP programs that I needed to run self-contained. I had it up and working on the laptop hours (figuring out php/mysql installs, and downloading on a dial up), as oppose to days with Mandrake (obviously due to a learning curve and lack of time).
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro Connection Limits? Reply with quote

schmealLA wrote:
Is there any limit to the number of computers that can connect to a WinXP Pro box running Abyss? I thought I had heard that an XP Pro box would only allow 4 or 5 users to connect at the same time? I'm wanting to run a small office Intranet with Abyss 12-14 users...

Thanks for any information!

I asked my dad about this, after I saw some posts on here about that. Hes a N+ (Network cerified, well almost he just has to walk in and take the test :\), he says that the OS can't limit connections because the software does all the porting. Thats what I thought to, so Microsoft is full of it.

I know the version of IIS that comes with WinXP has a limit on connections. I believe they sell a version without this limitation. Personally, I don't care cause theres better stuff out there ;).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a simple fix for Windows XP's SP2 connection limitations available. These fixes were mainly created for P2P program users.

http://trustyfiles.com/help-sw-xpsp2.php - This is a P2P program website, TrustyFiles, that also provides the SP2 connection fix. Click the link and follow the instructions!

I hope this has some relevance...
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WinXP Pro Connection Limits? Reply with quote

schmealLA,

Abyss Web Server does not have such a limit. The 10 connections limit is enforced by IIS and by some Windows services (such as file sharing) but do not affect applications using TCP/IP (such as Abyss Web Server). Please read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314882 for more information.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardyork wrote:
There is a simple fix for Windows XP's SP2 connection limitations available. These fixes were mainly created for P2P program users.

I hope this has some relevance...

No relevance at all to the IIS or SMB file sharing limits. This is a patch for the outgoing concurrent connection limit imposed by XP SP2.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
richardyork
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just trying to help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: