ASP Paging Large records

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennard
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: ASP Paging Large records Reply with quote

I hope I can explain this right, because I really need help with this.

1. I have the latest free version of Abyss Web Server.
2. My pages are developed using ASP and MySQL 4.x the latest stable version

My Problem is that my website relies heavily on the MySQL data. I have two field that are pulled for display. Everything loads really slow and the some pages get stuck in a loop I believe because of the number of records trying to display.

My fields:
prod_link (the field type is text) index as well
prod_image(the field type is text) '' '' ''

I would say that the majority of the pages load the data and page the records with no problem. (meaning if i have 40 records i display 10 records at a time per page) But page load still takes 15 -20 seconds to load sometimes longer.

I have one page that has to load about 100 records to page through. Sometime it loads the 1st page 2nd page and 3rd page but when you select the 4th page it outputs nothing. If i refresh the page maybe 4 or 5x it will load the records. All the while the page load is still very slow

My OS is Windows XP
I have a Pent III + 512MB Ram
My available RAM is about 260MB +-

PLEASE HELP !!! '~'
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ASP Paging Large records Reply with quote

kennard,

Try adding some code to your ASP pages to display the ODBC connection errors when ODBC calls fail. This may help you narrow your search and locate the problem.
kennard
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: ODBC error ??? Reply with quote

I don't get any errors in my pages.

1. Just extremly slow page loads

&

2. A page that never finishs loading because PERHAPS the records in cache are to large to handle. I'm talking database fields that are text type that hold links and image links.

80+ records
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ODBC error ??? Reply with quote

kennard,

You should probably tweak your ODBC drivers parameters to make them run faster. Try also increasing the timeout of CGI scripts execution in Abyss Web Server and in ActiveHTML.
kennard
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay how do I tweak my ODBC drivers parameters?

I search the web but every thing is so broad its kind of hard to narrow down what exactly I'm trying to do. That maybe the one thing that I'm missing.

v

I got good results from increasing the timeout of CGI scripts execution in A.W.S and in ActiveHTML.

I pushed them both to 180 and at least the pages finish loading without timing out.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennard wrote:
Okay how do I tweak my ODBC drivers parameters?

I search the web but every thing is so broad its kind of hard to narrow down what exactly I'm trying to do. That maybe the one thing that I'm missing.

Search http://www.microsoft.com for ODBC articles and support. That's the best place to get detailed information about these components.
kennard
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: ODBC Reply with quote

You were right! I had to tweak my ODBC.

After searching ODBC forums I finally found a situation simular to minds

I had to turn Tracing Off in the ODBC Administrator. After that everything runs great. Tracing drains your memory and puts a drag on database querying makes your pages load very slow.

Thanks for your advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Classic ASP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: