Exporting a private key to copy certificate to a new machine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lpele
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Exporting a private key to copy certificate to a new machine Reply with quote

Hello,

I generated a 2048 bits RSA private key and successfully got a certificate from free StartSSL.com, I was able to use it successfully under Internet Explorer without any security alert.

Now I want to change machine for my web server. But to copy config, I would need to export my private key and I can't find any button for that on Abyss X2. When I generated the key, it was not displayed as well. I was unable to find where the private key is stored.

Another problem is that I tried to generate a new key then requested a certificate from StartSSL but they can't issue another certificate for the same domain unless first certificate is revocated. But they ask 25 US $ to revocate old certificate.
Any idea how to export a pivate key or to duplicate an abyss configuration ?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jimarmstrong
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

In your case, i can suggest you two solution for this issue.

First solution is, you can reissue the same domain name certificate after 30 days from StartSSL.

Second solution is, you can buy new one certificate from third party Certificate Authorities (CAs) at the lowest price which cost you around 3 USD for an year. Try Comodo Positive SSL!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Exporting a private key to copy certificate to a new mac Reply with quote

When moving from an old server to a new one, it is possible to export all your keys.

On the old server, open the console, select "SSL/TLS certificates", then click on the "pen" icon next to the private key you want to export in the "Private keys" table.

The displayed screen will show a dump of the key which looks as follows:

Code:
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
MIIEvgIBADANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAASCBKgwggSkAgEAAoIBAQCtDhZFtSZbMkrl
3yj3VAdQtGPi4GmaGBJ1K3Zf
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

All that text (including the delimiting lines
Code:
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
and
Code:
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
) is the dump of the private key and it fully defines it.

On the second computer, open the console, select "SSL/TLS certificates", then click on "Add". Choose a name for the key and set "Action" to "Import". Fill the "Key Contents" field with the dump of the private key you got from the other computer.

Press "OK" and the old private key should now be declared on the new computer.

You can also use a similar way to export your certificates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> SSL/Certificates All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: