Error 500 with aspell/pspell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS_Anubis
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Error 500 with aspell/pspell Reply with quote

I have tried to get spell check to work for my forums for sometime and for some reason with this server I get an error 500 when it tries to display the spell cheching page. I have done this on several servers and platforms and I only seem to have the issue with Abyss. Is there some setting I am missing for this server or any other idea of what I may be missing?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Error 500 with aspell/pspell Reply with quote

SS_Anubis wrote:
I have tried to get spell check to work for my forums for sometime and for some reason with this server I get an error 500 when it tries to display the spell cheching page. I have done this on several servers and platforms and I only seem to have the issue with Abyss. Is there some setting I am missing for this server or any other idea of what I may be missing?

Spell check? =/
What is this, a script, program, something else?
Can you post a link to it?

(Unless you mean windows spell check, but I dont see where a 500 could come from there =/)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 500 with aspell/pspell Reply with quote

MonkeyNation wrote:

Spell check? =/

The name of the program was in the subject.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pspell
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aspell

Amazing stuff eh?

@SS_Anubis,
- what forum are you trying to get it to work with?
- is your forum already working correctly apart from the spell checking or could the error be in the forum integration?
- what platform are you working on?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 500 with aspell/pspell Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
MonkeyNation wrote:

Spell check? =/

The name of the program was in the subject.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pspell
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aspell

Amazing stuff eh?

@SS_Anubis,
- what forum are you trying to get it to work with?
- is your forum already working correctly apart from the spell checking or could the error be in the forum integration?
- what platform are you working on?

I just thought he couldnt spell =P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Simple Machines Forum. The site and all other sites with Pspell support I have tried in the last year have worked when tested with Apache and a few other freeware server programs but the server I am using I want to keep as Windows and have thus been using Abyss. The forum has been setup the way it is and has had many upgrages in forum software and php software and I always seem to run into a problem with pspell/aspell. Otherwise the sevrer has run great. I have talked on Simple Machines forums about this issue for a while and noone else has this prob or can solve it from the forum software side. Like I said, it only seems to happen from the Abyss software side and I was kinda hoping I haven't been the first Windows XP and Abyss user to have tried spell check.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 500 with aspell/pspell Reply with quote

SS_Anubis,

Aspell plugs with PHP. So if it does not work, you should check the cause at the PHP side, not at Abyss'.

Error 500 occurs because of PHP extensions setup issues (usually). We have tested aspell PHP extension before and it worked without any problem.

To have more information about the failure, try running php-cgi.exe or php.exe directly from the command line and tell us what is the error message you got from Windows.

If you cannot solve the problem tell us how you have installed aspell extension in PHP (and where).
SS_Anubis
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed These instructions for installation of aspell with php. Using these instructions in the past I have gotten it to work back when I used apache but I have no desire to go through 18 pages of text to configure that clunky POS. When running php-cgi.exe I get no error. As far as php is concerned it thinks it is setup corectly and displays it as such when I run
Quote:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

I have even in the past reinstalled win xp and set everything up again from scratch just to be sure I didn't mess something up somewhere and it hasn't helped. If you have gotten it to work perhaps you took an additional step that is not in the instructions I followed?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS_Anubis,

We too have installed ASpell support using the same instructions.
Do you confirm that phpinfo() show ASpell module in the list?

If this is the case, it could be a problem related to the chunk of ASpell code you're using. Can you please let us know if there are error messages in log/cgi.log. What is the code you're using?
SS_Anubis
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after consulting the logs I did realize what my issue was, a step I had used in the past and totally forgot about. It is necissary to use dos2unix to convert all the files in the \aspell\data directory to unix format for the server to be able to read them. Guess we all can chuck that up to experience for your future trouble shooting.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS_Anubis,

We too had this problem with ASpell. Sorry for forgetting to mention it. :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: