How fast ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: How fast ?? Reply with quote

Because of it's tiny size, I wonder ... how fast is this web server compared to others .. like IIS and Apache ??

How well can it handle alot of hits/users ?? Have you done any tests ??

I've just installed the web server and it works very well ... I've also written some CGI in C++... CGI also works very well... :D

The only thing missing for now is the possibility to run it as a service...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: How fast ?? Reply with quote

TheLinker wrote:

Because of it's tiny size, I wonder ... how fast is this web server compared to others .. like IIS and Apache ??

One of the common idea is that "how good a product is" is proportional to "how many MB it takes on my hard drive".
Sorry for destroying some well established convictions, but there is not proportionality between the power and the size.

Abyss Web Server is tiny. It's a fact. It is tiny because we want it to be so and because we are so "lazy" to write 10 lines of code when only one can do the same job !

Though tiny, it has a lot of features and does what it was designed for well. Of course, we can compare it to IIS or to Apache. But such a comparison makes no sense because Abyss Web Server targets the personal web servers market and not the professionnal one.

The current version is suited for a small/medium intranet server or for a medium web server. But we cannot guarantee it will run well for a a big corporate web site.

TheLinker wrote:

How well can it handle alot of hits/users ?? Have you done any tests ??

We did such tests and we can give you some "unofficial" conclusions. Of course, they depends on the host operating system but in general we are closer to Apache and IIS. In some cases, we do better than them.
Official results couldn't be pulished right now because of some legal issues.

TheLinker wrote:

I've just installed the web server and it works very well ... I've also written some CGI in C++... CGI also works very well... :D

The only thing missing for now is the possibility to run it as a service...

Running as a service is planned in a future release. So visit us soon.

Thank you for your feedback.
TheLinker
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: How fast ?? Reply with quote

Regarding my question on the webserver size and speed, I didn't think of it as slow or anything ... rather the opposite .. :)

I have tested the Abyss Web Server for only 2 days now, and I definitely like what I see ... Small size, easy configuration and not "eating" alot of resources or memory .. I am looking forward to what you can do in the future ... :)

My hope now, is that you don't put alot of features in the server which only a small percentage will use ... I would rather have those as some kindaoff modules which can be included in the main configuration .. and by that every user can include whatever "external" feature they need ...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: How fast ?? Reply with quote

TheLinker wrote:

My hope now, is that you don't put alot of features in the server which only a small percentage will use ... I would rather have those as some kindaoff modules which can be included in the main configuration .. and by that every user can include whatever "external" feature they need ...

Your suggestion is wise and we're happy to see that our ideas are shared by other people.
Using modules will be adopted in future versions. We will do our best to provide a comprehensive architecture and API to make writing an add-on an easy and interesting programming experience for the developer.

Thank you for your support...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: