Serve to localhost only

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabi
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Serve to localhost only Reply with quote

Is there anyway to prevent internet traffic from attempting to access my server using the IP address for my cable modem connection? I want to use Abyss for local testing only, but it can also be reached by the IP address dynamically assigned to my cable modem, which I would like to prevent.

Is there is a way to do this without having to disconnect my modem? For convenience, I prefer to be able to go to the web (for support issues among other things) while developing and testing on my local box. If there is, please make the explaination simple as I am technically challenged in this area.

Using WindowsXP Home Edition.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the 'IP Access Control' section of the Abyss console :

http://www.aprelium.com/data/doc/2/abyssws-win-doc-html/hosts-configuration.html#HOSTS-IPCONTROL

However, I stronlgy recommend that instead/as well you should enable Windows Firewall or install your choice of other personal firewall and deny access to Abyss. If you have only a cable modem and no router, I would recommend a personal firewall for security regardless of whether you were using Abyss or not...
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make an alias for the root of your server, then enter the user and password, click save on this computer and then just click OK every time when asked. You can still access the server remotely but you need a password to see it :P
jabi
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I do have my firewall turned on. Just wanted to make sure that was all I needed. Guess I'm just a bit paranoid.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no bad thing letting people see your site. Not many people will guess your IP at random anyway.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, there's no point in having your bandwidth wasted by your server having to respond with hundreds of 404's a day to all the scans by various worms and zombies if your site was never intended for public viewing...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Serve to localhost only Reply with quote

jabi,

If you want the server to respond only to requests coming from 127.0.0.1 (the localhost) and from nowhere else, you can use the "Bind to IP" parameter.

Open your host's configuration, select "General", press "Edit" in "Advanced Parameter", and set "Bind To IP" to 127.0.0.1 . Validate and restart.

Here is the explanation: by default, Abyss Web Server listens on all your IP interfaces. You have at least 2: one for your network card/modem and another which is the loopback interface (the localhost - 127.0.0.1). So if you set "Bind To IP" to 127.0.0.1, Abyss Web Server will only receive requests coming from the 127.0.0.1 interface. Any request coming from other interfaces are simply not passed to Abyss Web Server by the operating system, and for the rest of the world, all seems as if you don't have any server.
jabi
-

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Did that.

Now, does that mean that I can unblock Abyss in my firewall? Is there any reason to unblock it?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works fine while blocked, I see no reason why you should unblock it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: