Script to quickly re-home Abyss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricPhelps
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Script to quickly re-home Abyss Reply with quote

Let's start right off with the URL for the script:
http://www.ericphelps.com/scripting/samples/AbyssWs/

This script is NOT for public web hosts. It's for developers and content creators who are constantly creating temporay folders to try out modifications and site redesigns.

The idea is that you drop a folder on the script (or set up a right-click action on folders to do the same thing) and it will shut down Abyss, modify the CONF file to point to that folder as the default web site, then restart Abyss. It takes about three seconds.

If you already have Abyss set up and don't want a script messing with your existing conf file, just copy the abyssws.exe and abyssws.conf files into another folder and put my script in that folder. The script only messes with files in it's own folder. Well... Unless it can't find abyssws.exe in that folder. Then it will ask you to locate abyss. Then it will mess with the folder you pointed it to. Keep in mind that if you copy the two Abyss files into another folder, Abyss may complain about your log folder missing. So create a "logs" folder! Either that or run one of my other scripts (available at the same URL) to quickly disable all logging for that instance of Abyss.

Oh -- One thing is gonna drive certain people nuts. I shut down Abyss based on the actual file path of the program. I don't use the --stop argument to stop Abyss. What's the difference? In my experiments, using --stop seems to shut down the instance of Abyss that is listening on console port 9999. But if you run it again with the --stop argument, it will randomly(?) kill other instances of Abyss. If you only have one instance of Abyss running at a time, it doesn't matter. But like I said, I wrote this for developers. You might have several instances running! You can't take chances by shutting down the wrong instance. I assume you're going to have a separate copy of the Abyss executable running your "test" server. My script will shut it down based on it's location regardless of what console port it is using.

I've released the script to the Public Domain, which means you can steal it, modify it, and pass it around with no worries.

I know, Abyss is so easy to set up, it doesn't need wizards or helper scripts. But I couldn't stop myself.

Last edited by EricPhelps on Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:38 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Script to quickly re-home Abyss Reply with quote

EricPhelps,

Congratulations for the script. We'll give it a try and give you our feedback later.

We've started loving WSH thanks to your message :-)
EricPhelps
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you checked out the script(s) and liked the idea but thought the quality of my work was lacking, well... I agree. It was just a quick "this works for me" script meant to provide a starting point for other scripters. However, after your kind words and after seeing dozens of people checking out the scripts, I decided to update things... in that particular panic that only comes AFTER you've let the world see your mistakes.

I eliminated the other things the ReHome script used to do and spun them off as separate scripts. The only remaining "extra" thing the rehome script does is make sure your root path (used for the console and docs) is correct. If you don't have a root path (like if you run Abyss from a USB flash drive with nothing but the exe and conf files), it will set the root to match the folder that's being served.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricPhelps,

We'll give the new version of the script(s) a try. By the way, you web site is great and contains a lot of useful stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: