Lock Server with "/" but can not allow certain dir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vbgunz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Lock Server with "/" but can not allow certain dir Reply with quote

I tried so many different combinations but am beginning to think the feature I am looking for might not even be implemented...

I would like to lock down every and all directories using "/" but allow other certain directories to be freely visited...

I simply wish to lock the entire server from access but allow just one directory open for visitors...htdocs/phpbb2

I tried giving the phpbb2 "/phpbb2" access but no go...

I tried deny/allow with and without users checked in both the allow and disallow fields but no go... I tried allow/deny and even tried creating a user with no name (no go) and with no password (no go)....

Any ideas or is the feature I am looking for non existent?

Thanks for your feedback :)
ChaNelo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us an examlpe with a couple of dir paths to explain your needs.
you might also want to read the posting under "general forums" called "Directory listing....?" heheh i was the one who asked that... and I have a funny feeling you are asking the same thing.
vbgunz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Locking the Server Down... Reply with quote

Hello Chanelo,

Our questions are different and require different answers... You asked how to stop automatic indexing for certain directories... I on the other hand wish to lock access to my serrver from the public by doing this...

Server Configuration > Advanced > Access Control > Add...
Virtual Path = /
Realm = Entire Server is Locked Using This Path...
User = Administrator = Checked > OK

Using the above method should lock access from the public for all directories... In other words if someone tries to access any page in any directory they will be prompted with an authenticate user name, password dialog box...

Now I wish to allow access to a certain directory "/phpbb2" but it seems it is not possible regardless of what user or group is selected with or without full permission or deselected and or the order of Allow/Deny or Deny/Allow...

I am just beginning to think that this is not possible so would probably make a great feature... Any word?.. Am I missing something? Thanks :)
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Locking the Server Down... Reply with quote

vbgunz wrote:

I am just beginning to think that this is not possible so would probably make a great feature... Any word?.. Am I missing something? Thanks :)

Yes, as you said, it is not possible. We will submit the idea to the development team. Thank you for the suggestion.
But here is a workaround:
* You can create a simple "Hello" page in / that redirects the user to a /site. /site will be protected and contains your site contents.
* You don't need to protect /.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: