Console port when running server as a service

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redlion
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Console port when running server as a service Reply with quote

I have not noticed this on the forum or in the release notes, thought I'd point it out. When running the X1 version 2 as a service in Windows, the console port seems to change from localhost:9999 to localhost:10000.

Bug or feature?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Console port when running server as a service Reply with quote

redlion,

When you start the server as a service it uses the configured console port. We were unable to reproduce this problem on our side.

This problem may happen if you run two instances of the server: one as a normal application and one as a service.

We recommend checking your abyss.conf file or sending it to support@aprelium.com .
redlion
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Console port when running server as a service Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
redlion,

When you start the server as a service it uses the configured console port. We were unable to reproduce this problem on our side.

This problem may happen if you run two instances of the server: one as a normal application and one as a service.

We recommend checking your abyss.conf file or sending it to support@aprelium.com .

The relevant art of the config file indeed says <console>
<port>
</port>
Of course when I hit the "run as a service" button, the server was running as a normal application. I suppose I should have shut it down before I hit that, eh? So ... if I edit the config file to read 9999, will it switch automatically? Will I have to shut the service down first? Does it do any harm to leave it as is? (Seems to be running all right ...)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Console port when running server as a service Reply with quote

redlion,

It always a bad idea to edit the file by hand. It is better to use the console for that.

Choosing "run as a service" while the server is running isn't a problem as the server will only start as a service during the next restart or if it is manually started through Windows System Service tool. So we don't really understand how it changed the port "spontaneously".

For your information, when Abyss Web Server is running as a service, it continues to output some useful information in the Event Log of Windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: