I don't understand?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: I don't understand? Reply with quote

I'm running the WebServer, and ONLY the computer running can view what I put in 'htdocts'. Other computers on my network can't even go to 127.0.0.1 and see what I have.

What I want to do, is make it so people can download files off of me by connecting to my IP Address... Why is this so impossible with this software?

How on earth do I use this? I've been -attempting- to for two days now.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
NoName
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

127.0.0.1 is your local address, only PC's on your network can view it(basically yourself). Go to www.ipchicken.com and that will show your IP address. If your behind a firewall or router you will need to open some ports... Read the docs and search this forum(there are plenty of posts about this)...

Powered by Abyss Web Server
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
senshi
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that your using a windows machine, XP

start > settings > Network Connections

double click local area connection, click the tab labled support, your IP address will be displayed.

Address type Assigned by DHCP <-- usually or can be manually set
IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-- this one is your machine address
Subnet 255.255.255.0 <-- always this for class 'C' networks
Default Gateway xxx.xxx.x.x <-- if on a LAN this is your router IP address

if you have the icon in your systray then simply double click it and then clcik the suport tab.

if you need an external IP you can be lazy you can click this...

http://checkip.dyndns.org:8245/

and get an accurate IP address for your system regardless of if your behind a router, ISP proxy or any firewall, it returns your IP address assigned to your modem

but remember to forward port 80 to the machine IP address in your router settings, usually you access the interface by requesting the http:// of the IP address in the gateway settings, usually http://192.168.1.1 for class 'C' networks

As always, its the user thats the problem, you need to take a breath and take a little time to understand how networks operate and understand what your doing, shooting in the dark isnt going to get you anywhere so investigate your router and get looking at that manual that came with it, if you cant find it, type in the name of your modem into any google search engine and you should find the information you require.

Does that help you?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: