What should I have prior to installing phpBB?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vbgunz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: What should I have prior to installing phpBB? Reply with quote

I know this is a question I should probably be asking phpBB but here is why I am asking here...

To me the web server is the root to a site presence. What do I need and what works well with Abyss and will work well with phpBB?

I know theirs something about databases I need to know so does anyone have a freeware solution I should know about?

Please though if the only solutions you can come up with are shareware, trials or demos, don't hesitate to let me know :)

Thanks in advance for your time :)
Diablomax
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you need PHP and a database program like MySQL. Myself I'm not an expert at all, but I think that is all you need.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Is anyone then using phpBB along with Abyss? Reply with quote

I will look for mysql and compatibles but is anyone else on this board already running phpBB using a different solution that works well with Abyss?

vbgunz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: I think I found mysql... Reply with quote

I think I found mysql at http://www.mysql.com is this correct? The way Aprelium set up the how-to's for installing ASP, PHP and PERL, is there a walkthrough for setting Abyss up with mysql?

Thanks for any information :)
Diablomax
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I didn't go into that so... I'm sorry but i dunnot know anything about that. I'm just starting to play with webservers, I'm a complete newbie. however that seems to be the right website for MySQL.
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I have prior to installing phpBB? Reply with quote

PhpBB can run without MySQL by using the Access Database engine which is shipped with new Windows operating systems. It is really easy to do so if you don't want to have to set up MySQL. For more informatio, read the installation guide of PhpBB.
vbgunz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Thanks Aprelium for the thought Reply with quote

I think that is what I am searching for... a way to implement phpBB by using what I already have... I would assume when Aprelium said latest version of windows Aprelium was talking about XP... Well, I am on home edition... Am I good?

I will get with phpBB A.S.A.P.

Thanks Aprelium :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: